• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt, is it the end?

LoneWolf

My Sensei says "When you get the Black belt is like when you graduate of the Basic School"

Im just beginning to learn & understand the Karate Do (I have 22 years training), You have your life to do it.

Remember "If You use one of your eyes to see the goal, you have only one to cross the way".

Focus in the "DO" not in the End.

Thanks.

Ilich miguel Torres Fong

2nd Dan BB Shito Kai

Central America & Caribbean Confederation (WKF - PKF Zone) Kumite Judge

Monterrey, México

Im open to learn & talk about any MA or Style (all are great)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting the black belt is the beginning and getting the 10th dan is not the end

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

once you reach the rank of black belt you have only started to train in the martial arts, usually that is the physical level and creating in the right state of mind so that you are now able to learn the true secrets of the arts

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Black belt is certainly just the beginning. Why else do you think there are Dan levels? My Sensei used to say that when you reach black belt you have only mastered the basics. Well think how much more there is to learn then :o

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

t is commonly said that BB is the beginning of the beginning.....whatever. You have read it many times in this thread already.

I do not believe this to be true (ducks, to avoid hurls of abuse :D ). You see passing my BB was just an anti-climax, as mentioned in another thread. Okay it was hard (quite) and it was rewarding to receive the belt but when I resumed training there were no revelations, no secret moves, nothing new really, not that I expected it to be that way.

What I believe is you begin at the beginning when you first start training. When you achieve BB you would have been training for a substantial amount of time. You will find that things are starting to click into place; timing, bunkai, etc. It is simply a matter of progression like learning addition before you learn algebra. Some will grasp the whole concept before others you don't have to be a BB to do what a BB does. But you do require the skill/ experiance. Just is the case when you achieve BB your progression will not stop, things just keep becoming clearer the more experiance you gain.

IMHO, just a different view point but very rarely shared :wink:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

t is commonly said that BB is the beginning of the beginning.....whatever. You have read it many times in this thread already.

I do not believe this to be true (ducks, to avoid hurls of abuse :D ). You see passing my BB was just an anti-climax, as mentioned in another thread. Okay it was hard (quite) and it was rewarding to receive the belt but when I resumed training there were no revelations, no secret moves, nothing new really, not that I expected it to be that way.

What I believe is you begin at the beginning when you first start training. When you achieve BB you would have been training for a substantial amount of time. You will find that things are starting to click into place; timing, bunkai, etc. It is simply a matter of progression like learning addition before you learn algebra. Some will grasp the whole concept before others you don't have to be a BB to do what a BB does. But you do require the skill/ experiance. Just is the case when you achieve BB your progression will not stop, things just keep becoming clearer the more experiance you gain.

IMHO, just a different view point but very rarely shared :wink:

I guess that depends whether your style contains new kata after black belt; mine has several rather substantial kata after black belt.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Oh yes Karate_woman. My Okinawan Goju-ryu friend. There is that, but it is still simply progression.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I agree with telsum. I was going to say something to the same effect. I even had it written but I chickened out before I posted it. lol

To me, a black belt is something that just happens along the way. You start with a white belt, somewhere along the lines you get a black belt. It's not the beginning, and it's only the end if you let it be.

There is only a bit more 'mystique' I would say behind a black belt in comparison to others, as with wearing a black belt you get the (often misplaced) admiration of many aspiring black belts.

Reaching my first black belt was as Telsun said, an anti-climax, just another step, but....since that time I have had a change of heart-literally!

Studying under another teacher who challenged me mentally and physically...and spiritually, helped me to realize that fears can be overcome, all things are possible if you really want them, and you can change yourself for the better. Black belt became the first of many personal "challenges" , yes still another "rung on the ladder" but a meaningful one. Each dan level I reach has with it a new set of personal challenges- both physical and mental- that allow me to grow as a martial artist and a person. Determination, humility, understanding, creativity, open-mindedness, compassion...all things that are talked about on the road to BB, but are often not discovered until you place that BB around your waist and suddenly realize that you have accomplished something that many others never will, and that those that are on their own journey are watching your every move, wanting to follow in your footsteps in order to accomplish what you already have. It is a big responsibility. A truely humbling experience, but one that carries with it a certain satisfaction that only you can experience.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/