• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt kyus

LoneWolf

It is up to the ranking organization so each style can be different. In my experience most dan rankings require the same number of years of training as the dan level, i.e., 2 years for nidan ,three years for sandan, etc. Usually after godan, the rankings are not physical anymore, they are "honorary" as such to represent contributions to the art through numbers of students taught, articles, community involvement, curriculum development, etc.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It is up to the ranking organization so each style can be different. In my experience most dan rankings require the same number of years of training as the dan level, i.e., 2 years for nidan ,three years for sandan, etc. Usually after godan, the rankings are not physical anymore, they are "honorary" as such to represent contributions to the art through numbers of students taught, articles, community involvement, curriculum development, etc.

8)

Agreed; in Goju, there are no new kata after your yondan grading (at least not with any of the organizations I've come in contact with, and that has been several); godan and up are like you describe, more about what you've given back to karate than learning new kata.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Hi

Black belt 1st Dan are in one belt

2nd Dan = 3 years

3rd Dan = 2 years

4th Dan = 2 years

5th Dan = 2 years

6th Dan = 2 years

7th Dan = 2 years

8th Dan = 2 years

9th Dan = 2 years

10th Dan = 2 years

L8er :karate:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

As someone put it to me once..................

"Should you wish to see where YOU SHOULD BE, all things being equal, refer to the "OLD, ORIGINAL, JAPANESE AND OKINAWAN TIME IN GRADE SCHEDULE", which (I think for economic reason) is rarely seen anymore.

17 years old:......... Senior Shodan.

19 years old:......... Nidan.

22 years old:......... Sandan.

26 years old:......... Yondan.

31 years old:......... Godan.

37 years old:......... Rokkudan.

44 years old:......... Shichi-dan. (or) Nana-dan.

52 years old:......... Hachi-dan.

61 years old:......... Kudan. (Reserved for the successor to the world head of style, never awarded to anyone else.)

71 years old:......... Judan. (Reserved for the world head of style ONLY, NEVER AWARDED TO ANYONE ELSE, NEVER)"

You will notice between each dan there is the corresponding amount of years as ninjanurse originally wrote.

Different styles/associations vary so it all depends. But this is they way I have always understood it to be.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Our dojo only has 2 ranks: White and Black Belt. Originally there were no ranks or gis in Okinawan Karate. Kyu ranking comes from Judo, and is used for money making.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Our dojo only has 2 ranks: White and Black Belt. Originally there were no ranks or gis in Okinawan Karate. Kyu ranking comes from Judo, and is used for money making.

Belts also keep up motivation, giving the practitioner short term goals to aim for.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"