• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Arrogance on accident

Hello all. I just realized that at my new dojo I may have said a few things that came off as arrogant and need some advice on how to fix that so people won't think of me that way. I had been watching their tests and mentioned on how short it was and how I was surprised that lower ranks didn't have to spar. I am used to a 3 to 4 hr. test, and theirs was 35 min. for lower ranks and 50 min for the higher ranks. So you can see why I was surprised. While my intent was not to be arrogant, but truely complete shock at the shortness. I feel some people could take that the wrong way. What can I say to others (nice things) to make up for this? Or better yet how can I get used to these differences w/o opening my big mouth? Please help this really bothered me when I noticed that I did this :(

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say it is best not to say anything. I am in this same position at my new school and I understand that it is hard to not comment on things but...I have learned over the years that it is best to keep my mouth shut :P . If you are disappointed in the quality and quantity of classes, tests, etc., and want to stay anyway, set the bar higher by being an example in class. Be the best student that they have ever seen, be an example to fellow students, train harder than anyone. This way they see what your expectations of Martial Arts are without you telling them. Don't worry about the testing format, train for yourself-reach your personal goals! Trust me, you will see changes take place around you. You can't take back what you have already said but you can be humble, non-assuming, patient and respectful.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Differant ways of doing things. It dont make one right and the other wrong. It dont make both wrong either. It may not even make both right but differant people do things differant ways. Just explain that you are not used to that and see what their testing guidelines are. There may be a pre test or other outside the test requirments you did not see. Or it may be a short test maybe the teacher knew this person was good enough and just went thought the motions cause he was in a rush LOL.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In regards to tests, sometimes it just depends on the amout of material they have to go through at different ranks. Some places include the drills as part of the test, some make the drills just part of their warm-ups. Some places may ask you to do all your self defense sets(if they have them), or just a few of them to make sure none are forgotten. It's hard not to compare to past experiences, but in this case it's best to "empty your cup", and absorb all that's new to you. :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

As my sensei has said every time new students join "It doesn't matter what's done at other dojos. They train their way, we train ours. That doesn't make either right or wrong, but that means when you're here you train with us. The other dojo doesn't matter here."

nice point kyle-san, along with everyone else, it is good to keep your mouth shut, if you would like offer and apology this will show that you are humble and admit to making mistakes whether you agree with this new testing or not, the thing is that you are in another school so therefore you should follow the ways of that instructor, also train yourself and make yourself the best like ninjanurse said earlier. I would agree that that is a short testing yet, just keep your mouth shut, do what you are told and do it right, that is about all you can do.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I realize that! I did not mean that I actually think that a shorter test is wrong. I was merely saying that I'd been shocked about how much shorter it was and that is all. I had talked to some of my new karate friends about how I was surprised at the shorter length, and that was it. Just surprised. I was only thinking that this could be misinterpreted for arrogance by some. That is why I was asking for advice on how to not do this. So people won't misinterpret my intentions since I really like my new dojo. :karate:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

I feel the same way. I just recently changed dojangs. I was shocked a few things. I was still comparing things to my TSD days, with both TKD dojangs. But I agree with Heidi. I will be humble and accepting to this new place. I really like it there. There's a few "stuck-ups" there, but I will just egnore them (they think they are better than everyone else). I will just go there, train hard, and keep my big mouth shut :) (I have a habbit of "yacking off" with my big mouth).

Laurie F

Kyokushin, I didn't misinterpret you. I understood that you like your dojo and sympathize with your "shock". And yes I think that your comments can be misconstrued as arrogance by some people but not all. :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/