• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belts?

Smiler

Is there 10 kyu grades at your dojo?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is there 10 kyu grades at your dojo?

• yes
    • no

I do shotokan karate and the belt ranking id white, orange, red, yellow, green, purple, purple 2, brown, brown, brown and black for the dans but i have been looking at a lot of site of different styles and i know belt ranking will change but theres a lot of belts with strips on them and most of the moves need to go with them are only half grades? and theres about twice as many belts as of the normal 10 kyu. is this just for younger students or do senoir stundents do this to? :-? is this because there a different styles? other sites the colours are different but the moves need are full grades. please hely me understance :bawling: :nod: :up:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have been to many dojos and different styles. The amount of kyu ranks have ranged from 3 to 10. It is totally up to the style, a style/organization determines how it's students are ranked and that's it. There is no standard. Same with dan ranks. Some arts only have one black belt. Some have 15. Some have a maximum of five or eight or whatever dans. There are no standards.

No problem. Just remember, a belt rank is comparable only within the same organization. I might add that in some styles reaching 1. dan means you can open a dojo and teach. Some styles require 2. dan, or higher, I know of an art where you have to be 5. dan to open a school but then again, that art has 15 dan ranks total. Some styles have technical requirements for dan ranks, some just add dans after certain amount of years of active training. And so on. So it is better to forget about comparing belts between styles, arts or organizations.

I agree with Krives. My school has 8 belts, that's it. The adults and kids get the same (excpet for Junior BB's).

In TSD, the adults also had eight. But the kids had like ten or something.

It all depends on the schools/instructors. Even schools within the same org can be totally different.

It's best to just train in your style the best as you can and don't worry too much about belt color.

Laurie F

Yes and No lol.

Our white belts are consider 10 and 9 Kuy however the first test they take is for their 8th Kuy or Gold Belt.

10th for us is a general understanding of what the basic moves are and 9th is when we think they are ready to start learning Heian Shodan. Its a mental judgement on my part and really the student is never really told they are a 10th or 9th Kuy.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Okay, we have Ju Kyu to Ik Kyu, which are:

White Belt (no title)

White w/stripe (ju Kyu)

Orange

Orange w/stripe

Yellow

Blue

Green

Purple

Brown

Brown w/1 stripe

Brown w/2 stripes (ik kyu)

Brown w/3 stripes (?)

Umm. . . not everyone goes through the stripes. I only had my brown before I tested for Sho Dan Ho. We don't charge for the tests, except for the cost of the belt, which is usually five dollars or so.

"Hiya!"

"Excuse you."