• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Karate not for fighting other styles"

Kirves

i cant get that video to work do i need that winzip in order for that vidoe to work??

You need WinZip to unpack the movie file "pereira.wmv" from the zip file. Then, if the actual file still doesn't work try these:

1. Update your Windows Media Player (see microsoft.com)

2. If that doesn't help, get a new divx codec (free downloads on the net)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However saying that, the wonderful thing about kata technques is that they don't act as a speciofic defence. That is, true bunkai are not a ' the guy attackst with this so I do this technique...' style. They are by fighters for fighters, and usually start of at a neutral point, such as if you at some point in the fight have managed to grab hold of the opponents hand. This could work at a wrist grab, attempted push, label grab or even a punch.

With some training you can learn to get into a sitaution where kata can be used against a trained fighter, eg you could slip around a comitted boxers punch (afters keeping your guard up to avoid the initial jabs in the combo) grab hold of the arm and use your bunkai. Only problem is that such tecniques are either well known or illegal in most fighting tournaments.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

it is the modern styles such as Wado-ryu and Shotokan that ignore the hooks in basic traing (although Kirves makes it sound that this is not so in Kyokoshin , is that true?).

I don't do Kyokushin no more.

Edited by Kirves

As a ring sport Muay Thai is good. As a street fighting art it is nominal. I grew up in SE Asia and had the pleasure to spar, train and befriend many real Thai Thai Boxers. They were for the most part humble and extremely tough. The truth be told though, they were no more successsful at dealing with an experienced street fighter than the average Shotokan or TKD guy. The cats with street fighting experience, regardless of lineage or style, were good reality fighters. Period.

How many of you guys have seen a Thai Boxer in action against a street fighter of the same height and build? I'm talking, how many of you have even seen anyone fight on the streets for real (as an adult)? Everyone likes to believe that they have the panacea for self-preservation. Muay Thai wasn't invented for street fighting. It is a sport just like 98% of MAs out there. Some are more effective sports than others. That is it.

As for BJJ. When have you ever seen a GJJ/BJJ guy fight for his/her arse on the street? C'mon now. Fighting on the street is fast and unpredicatable. Pulling guard or chess-match fighting is a prime no-no. Do what you want. Train how you like. Become well-versed in all aspects of fighting. Be prepared for chaos. Know your intent for training. Be honest with yourself. The Okinawan masters taught a method of SD that is relevant to the club, drunken culture of today. All the newer stuff is for newer "fighting" with rules and refs.

What reality fighting takes place spontaneoulsy, with someone getting stole from behind with the corner of an ashtray to the occiput or a sucker punch around your girlfriend? None. Street fighting styles are not MMAs styles. NONE. None are ring sport oriented styles. NONE. The only ones left are some Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian and Okinawan arts. They were made for war and brawls. Not sport.

Just for kicks look up some old Muay Thai matches from the 80s, 90s and recently. You will see how it has become more kickboxing oriented. Ask the Chief of Police of Bangkok why he practices TCMAs and Okinawan Arts for his real life confrontations in a 3rd world country. Don't be duped. You guys could never be Bas Rutten, Rickson Gracie or Royce. Get real for the reals. Do you and let them do them. 'Nawmean?

Have a good one, especially TJS...

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan