• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When testing a Black Belt they must meet these things in my mind.

1. Can they defend themselves against a person of equal size, age, strength, and ability. Hopefully this is better but its the least thing I look at.

2. Do they have a GOOD understanding of the orgins of Shotokan its History, evoulution, teachers, ideas, customs, etc....

3. Do they have the ability to teach a beginnner the basics. Hopefully this is better as well.

4. Are they mature... This is a big one... Do they respect the rank and the work or is it just a trophey for them. Do they respect the teachers and younger students. Basically are they a good person....

5. Would they make me proud. More importantly would they make my teacher proud if they walked into his dojo and said I am ___________ a first Dan under Sensei Justice. Or would I hope they never met. LOL...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

from a kyu stand point as an issinryu student, shodan to me represents moving out of simply learning an art and moving in to try and master it. as well as to improve, not just yourself, but the art, the martial arts community, and the world as well. at shodan, you are not even half way, there is still much to learn, but at shodan you dont just take any more, you give back.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

fire ka i agree with you what black belt means to me is well its just the begining

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Black belt is a goal for me, but yet, it's just the beginning of my long MA road. When I get my BB, it's time to give back for what I have learned as a color belt, but learn and grow more as I keep training.

Here's a saying my TSD instructor often said to those who thought BB was the "end": Color belts learn the basics, BB's learn how to USE the basics ;)

Laurie F

nidan reminds me of fourteen. so far from adult, yet so far from a child. it is a confusing time in an artist life, i bet theres a lot of people who get here and this is the real moment of truth, because beyond this, karate really cant be a hobby anymore, thers no way. its either a way of life or your stuck were you are. i bet a lot of people quit at this point to. (im sure a lot of people will disagree with my budo statement)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty