• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan karate sparring

Shotokan_Fighter

in my shotokan class when we spar we do not spar full contact i dont think any school of shotokan karate does. the reason for that is if we sparred full contact we would hurt each other, we dont use pads it is bare fists and feet. i was sparring in my last class against my sensei and we started light contact and we got to almost full contact but it wasnt even close it full power techniques, and he got me with a reverse punch right into my ribs and bruised my ribs if me and him were sparring full contact he could have boken one of my ribs. that is the reason why most shotokan schools dont spar full contact right???

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We spar with what we call shock factor. We don't do point sparring. I think it useless. We don't go all out because we don't want to hurt each other but were pretty close. We do takedowns, low kicks, throws, etc. What I mean by shock factor is if we see I guy is dazed we back off. Otherwise we baiscally play to the tap. Meaing work it to a submission or just when I call time.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

TJS wrote

Do you punch to the head?

yes we do but we dont hit each other we do kinda tap each other though. but hitting hard to the head isnt allowed ( we dont wanna hurt anyone)

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Yeah but we do wear MMA gloves for what its worth. With that said I do teach my guys to control head contact espically face. Just because of the danger.

If you watch any traditional Shotokan traing films of the early tournments they were pretty hard core. LOL....

I should also say that once we go to a standing clinch if a throw is not made in say 2 or 3 seconds both guys sort of tap and back off and restart. So were not on the ground a lot but we do go down if a clean throw or takedown is made.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We punch full contact to the head, use sweeps and throws as well as work for a top position. (ex. knee on chest) We don't ground grapple in shotokan but we do use what ever we can standing. Arm bars and chokes, etc. I don't think this is the norm in most shotokan dojo but this is what we do.

We do the same but we do go to the ground in a guard, mount, cross mount etc. However your right that once we do a throw we teach the big strike if we can but I also teach the guy being taken down to try and get in a good ground defense by pulling the other guy down with him.

I done some BJJ in college and a Judo 2nd Dan takes our class once a week and he helps us out a lot.

all JKA clubs do full contact body for men (advanced+) light contact face.

less traditional Shotokan clubs (AAU, NKF, ETC) do light contact with pads.

MOST jka style dojos never do jiyu-kumite, they just do semi free drills.

the view that do do it as mentioned above.

my two main dojos are both shotokan, one we do the light contact, the other we wear boxing gloves and just go through engagements and stop after a clinch or a good clean hit.

(both are sport oriented)

Eh Point sparring worthless eh?

I guess youve never seen a bare knuckle ippon. (AJKA/WSKA/KUGB guys try to kill eachother)

The full contact concept confuses me a bit. At Shotokan we don't use any protection at all, we don't "pull" our techniques and contact is not allowed (at least not for the beginners). In Kyokushin (so called full contact) they use all sorts of padding and protection....

But the so called "bare knuckle ippon" described here, must be more full-contact than competitions with boxing gloves etc?

Even in regular kumite competitions in Shotokan there ar eno weight classes and no protective gear, from what I have been told. I assume it can get very "interesting" at times..

I think students should spar with different kinds of rules. Sometimes spar bareknucled, with no head punches allowed. Sometimes put the gloves on and allow head punches. Why limit yourself to only one way? Edited by Kirves