• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado-Karate : Blocking low kicks & "boxing punches&

Alexwado-ryu

Does anyone who has experience with wado-karate know how we block (extrem) low kicks ? I'm a yellow-belt and think I'd be abled to block a maegeri (dunno how this' spelled ) but who on the street uses karate-kicks like maegeri? I know that in wing chung they have some sort of blocking counter kicks (which I find to be very effective) but in Wado I only saw blocks (e.g uchi-hara-uke) which use hands, not feet. Is there something similar in wado-karate ? My second question would be how to block a "boxing punch" which comes from the center of the opponent and aims at your head. I think uchi-uke or jodan-uke would be too slow to block such a strike and even if it was executed fast would it work ? Is there maybe another block for such an attack ? Thank you for your answer :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To block a low kick lift your leg and block it with your shin..any other way is going to get you Knocked out if someone knows what they are doing.

AS far as a "boxing punch" I guess you mean straight punches.

You should either redirect them or slip them.

For very low kicks we would block with our leg. The neihanchi katas feature evasions to foot sweeps that can be modified for defending against kicks (just bring the knee up).

As for the boxing punches, if you mean a jab, we would just get out of the way because there is basically no way to be fast enough to block a jab.

If you mean a full-fledged punch, we would most likely do a deflection.

You might step inside as you deflect it and follow up with an elbow strike or takedown. Who knows.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

WTH? no way to block a jab?

If someone knows how to throw a good lead hand technique you wont have time to block or move. Blocking is always faster then moving out of range.

If you have your hands in a good position they will have to go around it and maybe give you enough time to do a soft block.

wado ryu jodan-uke=shotokan age-uke?

If you mean a hook punch just duck. if you really want to block it put your hands on your face and bite down on the mouth guard..

slowest punch going.

Most important thing in Wado Ryu = Taisabaki (body shifting)

No block in wado should ever be done straight on if you can help it, we shift the body and deflect the attack. Kicks and jabs same thing!

So for low kicks, yes block with your leg but not in a hard clashing way (that'll hurt big time!), but deflect the kick. This puts the opponent off balance so you can get a quick counter strike in.

There are leg blocks in Wado, you just might not have been taught them yet at Yellow belt.

As for a fast jab, i usually use taisabaki with an uichi or soto uke. Of course in real combat situations the block is much faster and less clumsy than it appears in kihon practise.. for example, the uichi uke does not have to come all the way up to your head before you bring it round for the block. It only needs to move enough to deflect the punch.. it's your body that moves the most.

Hope that helps! :)

Osu,

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Firt off I have to say this...major motoko...I could give you the worlds biggest hug for the answer you just gave :) Right on!!!

Alex...nice avatar :)

At your belt level your questions are very natural. I echo what major motoko said. Taisabaki!!!! Your instructor will be able to help you with that in the future. You'll be able to recognize your partners movements and not be there when you the intended kick happens. Then ...counter attack :)

As for hand techniques, I just use parrying like a boxer would...or jodan/soto uke...depending on the situation.

You're studying an art that takes some time to get comfortable with. Just relax, do what your instructor tells you to...and have fun ;)

*rei*

Thanks wadoguy! :blush:

I just repeat what my Sensei has taught me! Glad I'm actually getting it right then! :D

I second what you say tho, Alex you still have lots to learn at yellow belt so don't worry if you don't know it all yet cos none of us do! :lol:

osu,

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Well, first off thank you all for your answers, I'll ask my sensei about this block used in neihanchi. I've asked this question because some of my friends who have been studying Wing Chung for about only a half year, seem to be a lot more advanced, although I started karate at the same time (e.g. they would be abled to block low kicks, hooks and punches but I have always the impression that I could only block karate techniques but not such ordinary attacks which you encounter in most cases on the street ... hope this will change soon).

The essence of karate blocking is not the whole movement but the sharp twist of the forearm at the end. This teaches you to bat aside punches and deflect rather than whack them aside like you would expect. With high handed guard this deflection and taisabkai should get you through.

Do not attempt the full traditional kihon block.

Low kicks, as it was said shin blocks are the best idea. If you can you could use a modified mae geri to jam the jeg as it rises or turns (but it takes alot of skill, timing and practise to pull of).

If there is enough distance and warning, a body evasion will avoid most Mae geri and yoko geri, and may take some of the force out of the mawashi, but once again hard to pull off.

In the street however, your typical untrained skinhead will come at you with some sort of foot ball volley (ie the will swing the leg upwards in a wild, rising arc as if to cleeve through your groin) these are the kicks you should be traing for. A side step with a swing to the hips usually take care of that.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Also, the sharp twist in the block causes more of the energy in the impact to be directed into the opponents attacking arm or leg or whatever rather than your own blocking arm.

I too, usually just move back as far as my instructor says is need, which his answer is " Just Enough " So I basicly just evade just out the opponents range and follow with a swift counter, when attacked with a jab. Also I like to keep my hands in a position that makes it so that it requires very little movement to block attacks to the head and midsection. and block the kicks with the shins.

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor