• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Kali a good art for physical conditioning?

I'm looking for a hard MA that is tough physically - lots of training, sprints, etc. I understand it probably depends on the dojo/instructor, but is Kali/Arnis/Escrima good for this?

I read that Kajukenbo is a good art for hardening up, but I don't think it's offered in Melbourne.

Also, is Kali/Arnis/Escrima a good art to start with? I'm a complete newbie and I'm looking to start training in an MA. (I like that it's empty hand techniques are applicable with weapons)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm looking for a hard MA that is tough physically - lots of training, sprints, etc. I understand it probably depends on the dojo/instructor, but is Kali/Arnis/Escrima good for this?Also, is Kali/Arnis/Escrima a good art to start with?

You are correct that it depends on the school, but in general Kali is an excellent art. Their drills will challenge and toughen you physically, as well as building endurance, coordination and reflexes. As far as practical fighting skills, it is (in my opinion) one of the better arts out there. And it is a lot of fun.

My base is American Kenpo, but I work out regularly with a bunch of PMA types, including some from a Kali Jukini Do school. They are some tough customers. If I get to where I can't continue Kenpo, that's probably where I'll end up. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Freedom isn't free!

:D Kali can be very beneficial. The main thing that I have gained from training Doce Pares Eskrima is the mental aspect. The different angles of attack and blocking those angles. As far as the physical part, practicing your strikes on a heavy bag is a great workout for your whole body. You will build some good calouses on your hands too :brow:

Brett

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
kali refered by grand tuhon leo gaje that kali also derived its name from the hindu god of destruction kalis. The art is not a means of self defence but to actually kill someone as quick as possible. In the petiki tersia system this is also true meaning to cut someone up in pieces at close range. So it depends on ur persoanl needs and goals for a MA. But i say go for it!!!! its really fun i enjoy it very much.

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.