• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been told that the only Olympic MA is TKD. Is this true? IE if my daughter worked really hard at Shorin-ryu she could never compete at the Olympic level?

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At present, judo and TKD are the only Olympic martial arts. As far as having to hold a TKD Black Belt to be on the team I do not know, as a lot of different styles have competed at Olympic Style Sparring events-you just have to follow the rules.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The last I heard, Karate was a potential demonstration sport for the next Olympics, but it doesn't appear that they were successful. They've been working on it for quite some time and the WKF is still trying to make it a reality. Check this out: http://portal.enfoque5.com/karateolimpico/ingles/index.php

Hopefully by the time your daughter is a contender it will be in the Olympics at some level.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

dont sweat it to much though. in my opinion, olympics would be a waste of your daughters skills, there are much more respectable sporting events to compete in (IMO) has she considered the ISKA? or is she already involved in it?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I thought I heard that Wushu was trying to become a demonstration sport, as well, but I'm not sure.

I really don't care for Olympic TKD. I mean, I thought Tae Kwon Do meant "the way of the hand and foot"...so why is kicking the only scoring option? Every local Tae Kwon Do tournament I've ever seen has included punching...what's wrong with those Olympic people? :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

At this moment only TKD & Judo r Olympics, but the WKF Comitee r fighting to give us a chance.

They r working really hard & i think all we need is patience & eventually will happen.

The Free- style tournaments r good, but if we work all together in WKF - Rules events may be easier & faster, this because first we need to have an agreement about our competition format.

Karate students of all the world stay together.

(excuse me for my english... 8) )

Ilich Miguel Torres fong

2nd Degree Balck Belt (Shito Kai)

1st Degree Black Belt (Chikubu Kai)

Center American & Caribean Confederation of Karate (WKF) - KumiteJudge

Monterrey, México 8)

Edited by BudoKaiMéxico

Im open to learn & talk about any MA or Style (all are great)

Thanks for the feedback people. :-)

I don't know if my daughter has what it takes dedication wise to go to top level competition like the Olympics, but wondered if it was possible.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate