• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why does everyone use the name "karate"

Akima shines again.

TKD improved Karate somewhat in my opinion, other than the whole marketing/commercialization thing.

The masses don't think. Karate is easier than Danzan Ryu Jiu Jitsu or Ssissreum or Baji, etc. Just say Karate and they'll understand...

Peace, Love, Harmony

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I suppose that we should just have car dealerships that say: Cars for sale. Then not tell the people what kind they are until they sign up to buy one.....

A little history lesson for those of you who think that TKD ripped off karate kata. General Choi Hung Hi founded Tae Kwon Do in 1955.

Common misunderstanding. Although Choi Hong Hi was an important figure in spreading taekwondo(and later founding his own organization, ITF, due to rather interesting political reasons), he was by no means a "founder" of taekwondo or a leading figure of karate in Korea. The name "taekwondo" may be a creation of Choi Hong Hi (so, he may be called as an originator for the name), but art itself was practiced by many others - many of these people were superior to Choi Hong Hi in their grade in karate. Of course, General Choi's military status (achieved later) gave him a change to spread taekwondo in Korea.

Gen. Choi studied karate in Japan for 1 or 2 years (depending on a source), achieving a 1. dan black belt in Shotokan style. Most records support the story that Choi Hong Hi was a member of an university karate club - not the actual Shotokan dojo - and studied under the students of Gichin Funakoshi. After returning to Korea (and teaching karate in Korea), he became an important figure of Oh Do Kwan -taekwondo school. Oh Do Kwan taught same karate as the major school, Chung Do Kwan. Chung Do Kwan was founded by Lee Won Kuk, who was a student of Gichin Funakoshi in Shotokan dojo and had achieved a rank of 4. dan in Shotokan karate - during his time it was a highest rank awarded in Shotokan. Lee Won Kuk achieved that rank after 10 years of studying.

During the time, taekwondo drifted further from karate, became more or less unified, divided into a Kukkiwon-taekwondo (which has a competition federation called WTF) and ITF-taekwondo and into some minor schools. Taekwondo tried (and somewhat succeeded) to differentiate itself from karate roots (nationalism rose its head) and new forms were created. First set of forms were called "Palgwe" and second set - in use now - is called as "Taegeuk". Also, several other forms - such as Koryo and Taebaek - are done in dan-grades. There was also a fabricated history of taekwondo spread in some state - nowe even Kukkiwon admits that taekwondo comes more from karate than from suspected ancient Korean martial arts.

Of course, I'm cutting the corners here and leaving important parts off. I'm not a taekwondo practicioner, but as a practicioner of Okinawan karate (and as a historyphilic) I've collected some bits and pieces from karate-related arts. If you wish to read a great text about the history of taekwondo, I recommend this PDF-file: http://www.stanford.edu/group/Taekwondo/documents/tkd_history.pdf

The karate sensei who had the largest influence in teaching the founders of the art now called as taekwondo were, in order of importance in that matter: Gichin Funakoshi (with his students)(Founder of Shotokan), Kanken Toyama (Founder of Shudokan) and Kenwa Mabuni (Founder of Shito-Ryu).

And to the original question: I don't have a faintest clue why all unarmed martial arts are called "karate" in USA.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

When most people hear that I am involve with Martial arts they assume it is Karate, when it is TKD. I think it is mainly due to the fact that Karate is popular in some areas and some influences from TV and Movies. As for buildings with the wrong art on the side you have to ask yourself, is it just a money grab or does the instructor use Karate with TKD. He/She could be an excellent instructor in a couple forms of martial arts.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder