• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why does everyone use the name "karate"

A nice bit of history Kirves. I thought the "crane" thing was to illustrate that you can never under-estimate your opponent (even when he/she does something that looks so silly!) and if you do you might get slammed!

I know muay thai fighters who take particular pleasure at destroying people who do fancy stuff like guards involving putting hands at useless positions like behind the head.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always find it amusing when people drop their hand in some mortal kombat esque pose - I like to point out (using my fist) that these poses might look nice but my punches look nicer in the huge gaps these poses create.

Juts while karate kid is on the post, for thos who say that he didn;t do karate. The kata that allowed young daniel san to win in KK3 was Sienshin, a common okinawan karate kata.

Just adding two pence

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

People often forget that Okinawan karate was not as rigid and linear as the modern Japanese karate. On Okinawa, the term kara-te actually meant "Chinese boxing" (kara=Chinese, te=hand - just to be accurate) and as such, all old karate looks a bit like kungfu.

Good stuff. Just something to add, the term "karate" was not officially adopted (with the characters being changed to mean empty hand) until 1936. Its first known use with the empty hand meaning was in 1906 (or 3, i forget) in published writing.

I have a copy of the Bubishi, it is pretty nice.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I suppose the USSD schools should put Su Kown Pak Sung Tawi or Goku Shinkukai Bazuki on their windows and then people will mistake them for Chinese food places?

Karate and Kung Fu are household names for martial arts and it is simply there so people know what good they're offering.

A little history lesson for those of you who think that TKD ripped off karate kata. General Choi Hung Hi founded Tae Kwon Do in 1955. He studied karate in Kyoto Japan and his katas included Heian, Bassai, Empi, Rohai, Kusanku, Tekki, Jitte, Hangetsu, and Jion. His idea was to meld the older Northern Chinese influenced Korean styles with the Japanese Okinawan hand techniques to create a more well rounded art. A good idea. I wonder what happened? Anyway if you see Tae Kwon Do forms that look like karate forms, you now know why.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Because americans like to gernalize. Especially in the market palce.

Much of the US's first contact to asian MA systems were with Japan. The first Asian MA system taught to the US army was Jujitsu. Karate was the term that stuck in this country.

As far as TKD ripping off Karate, I don't see a problem worth arguing. I do have a problem when they don't admit it.