• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Russian Special Froces Training?

Cybren,

I absolutely agree. In fact, whether it's Spetnatz, Rangers, SEALS or regular Infantry combatives, one could easily make the argument that what they learn is MORE of a martial art than what we learn. Their training is based upon the realities of a 21st century battlefield while what we learn is based upon the battlefield situation of centuries past. Of course, some could have issue with the term "art" in relation to combatives. But that argument could be made about many styles of MA. Regardless, anyone who has issue with it needs to forget their concept of what MA is and look up the term "martial" in the dictionary.

To save a few of you the effort, Webster's Student Dictionary (American Edition, 1999) defines the term "martial" as: adj. referring to war; martial music = marches p;layed by military bands; martial law = maintenance of law by the military instead of the police.

Using this pattern we can see that we can loosely define "martial arts" as any art used by the military. So, by definition, anything taught in any military school is a martial art. (this includes weaponry as well as intelligence gathering).

• 9 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spetznaz actually learn a certain type of sambo, a more militarized version rather than just the grappling moves. i have seen some of their footage in both armed and armed hand to hand and its pretty impressive. and no i do not consider them to be a martial art seeing as how at least 90% of what they learn is derived from other arts. the other 10 %is all mainly how they might apply something a little differently to fit the battlefield rather then the art practice. its so difficult to tell all of the exact arts the SF learn because there are so many. its just what works the best is the best way of describing it.

As far as I know, General Mikhail Ryabko has only taught Systema to Spetsnaz troops, as did Vladimir Vasiliev.

Unless of course there are regular Spetsnaz and "higher-uppers" in Spetsnaz.

I would imagine that they are exposed to both... certainly, it's not hard to find major Systema and Sambo guys interacting.

That siad, I agree with cymry... considering one systema tape was pulled for having a good deal of Spetsnaz on it in the process of training it (who did not really want their faces on tape), and considering their tendancy to train it with the millitary...

Supposedly they're not allowed to film some things on the training trip to Moscow because of the classified nature of things.

• 7 months later...

mar·tial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (märshl)

adj.

Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.

Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.

Characteristic of or befitting a warrior.

martial

adj 1: (of persons) befitting a warrior; "a military bearing" [syn: soldierly, soldierlike, warriorlike] 2: suggesting war or military life [syn: warlike] 3: of or relating to the armed forces; "martial law" [syn: martial(a)] n : Roman poet noted for epigrams (first century BC) [syn: Martial]

Main Entry: martial

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: militant

Synonyms: aggressive, bellicose, belligerent, brave, combative, heroic, high-spirited, hostile, military, pugnacious, soldierly, spirited, warlike

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Ya I also think Russian Special Froces learn Systema , also ROSS and SAMBO.

The basics of this system come originaly from Japan. There for it has some simularities with Aikido => use the power, force of your oponent, not your own.

There are no katas or is there a uniform or grade system.

A few quotes

Black Belt Magazine: "No rules, no belts, no nonsense. Systema - a fighting art without all the needles baggage."

American Survival Guide: "The techniques are simple and deadly, practical and effective, based on a few unique and powerful principles."

New Mexico Law Enforcement Journal: "Simple, highly effective...truly the only martial art you need to know to live in the real world."

HERE is a little movie of Systema

ps: sry for my bad english

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be