• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who has been to some kind of army?

Kirves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, I guess you could rate Finland as a small country. The size actually is pretty close to Britain and Japan, so Finland is not all that small geographically.

And no, you don't have to go to army in Finland. However, if you're a Finnish male, you'll have to go to either military service or civilian service (unarmed service, performed in governmental services such as offices, taking care of old people or in hospitals etc...). Exceptions to this rule are certain religious groups that have had a liberation from service. They are a very small fraction of everyone. Also, some people plainly do not want to serve the country - they'll do their time in jail.

System works and is rather civilized. However, there are slight room for correction. Civilian service is more than 2 times longer than most common service time in military (6 months in military, 13 months in civilian service) and those who do their time in jail (6 months) can be seen as to be imprisoned for expressing their opinion. Amnesty International has been informed for both of these cases. However, this is the only possible human rights violation situation that can be connected to Finland, so I think that we have a pretty good, pretty balanced country here. Most countries have at least one of those skeletons in their closet.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

To Jussi: Yeah, I know you don´t haveto go to the army, but my english is not good enough to explain all that stuff.
Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

US Army Infantry: 1987 - 1990 (Georgia, South Korea)

US Army Cavalry (Reserves): 1991 - 1995 (Nebraska)

US Army Judge Advocate General's Corps: 1995 - Present (Kansas, Japan, Washington)

Go Army!