• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Styles of Kempo/Kenpo

Chris from CT

On 2002-05-30 18:45, Crucio wrote:

i have a question for the kempo people, if i do kempo, muay thai and tae kwon do, will any of those martial arts interfer with each other.

Some things are different in Kempo, but there is so much to remember that it could get a little confusing.

On 2002-05-30 18:45, Crucio wrote:also, what weapon do you start with in kempo and which do u learn?

That all depends on your teacher and what style of kempo you are studying. You may start off with Arnis stick drills, or you may start off with staff or knife. It's different all over. But if you study kempo, you are guaranteed to have weapons in your training eventually.

I hope this helped.

Take care. :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that the stances between TKD and Kenpo/Kempo are different. In Kenpo/Kempo their stances tend to be lower and have what we call a twist stance or cross stance. However, when it comes to issues of mobility then they are like any other art in that they favor the stances that'll enable them to move much more easily.

Philosophy wise, they focus on self-defense first and are not necessarily sport oriented. In the area of weapons, most Kenpo/Kempo start with the bo and depending on the schools cirriculum introduce other kobudo weapons.

As far as interferance with the 3 styles you've listed I think it'll be the execution of certain techniques you choose to add or delete from your repetoire. In Kenpo/Kempo they are known for their multiple hand strikes and low line kicks. Muay Thai their roundhouse kicks are thrown as if swinging a bat, and TKD yet a different method of delivering their kicks, not to mention the limited use of hand techniques.

Hope this is/was of some help!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 years later...

hey all

i've been a kempo student for a while now and also train in muay thai kick boxing. i find that the styles complement, rather than interfere with, each other. there are many similarities, esp with the kicks.

in muay thai your "fighting stance" will be shorter, this is for mobility around the ring, but the execution of techniques barely changes. never heard of numbered techniques tho......

in response to the comments regarding weapons, i started with the bo and arnis sticks and moved on to kamas and tonfas. as mentioned above, it depends on your teacher. generally you would start with blunt weapons and move on to cutting weapons - you have to learn to stand before you can run!

I do American (AKTS) and Chinese (IKCA) Kenpo. Both are Parker based. I also integrate other styles/systems ( I'm an unabashed technique plagerist 8) ).

aefibird: yes, we do forms. They are a little different from what traditional karate does. The early forms are moves on both sides to get you used to moving and to help develope what we call your 'Dictionary of Motion' (Mr. Parker used English grammer for a lot of his analogies). Later forms are technique forms with borrowing and flow. Our techniques are themselves like mini katas, done both without and with a partner. They are learned in phases. First is the Ideal phase, where the base technique is learned in the air and with a compliant partner. Then we move on to What If?, where problems and variations are explored. Forceis increased as you go, until you are reacting under a full force assault with variables. Then you go on to the Formulation phase, where you really tear it apart, rearange it, add and subtract moves. Through all this you are looking at the principles and concepts and focusing on basics. We also do a thesis form at each belt level except yellow ( and there are no passes if you aren't belted- I've probably done more thesis forms than most people of similar level). In addition, we have Sets which focus on drilling basics (Finger Set, Kicking Set, Star Block, etc.).

The IKCA is not as much into forms as most other AK systems. But a lot of the IKCA students either take it to enhance other systems, or as a base to incorporate other systems with. So many of us get a lot of kata/hyung/forms elsewhere.

Freedom isn't free!

...y'know, this sounds a lot like wing chun in the way taht it is taught/trained.....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I bet! Funny how good methods tend to get around. Like Taiji push hands, chi sao, and some of the FMA sensitivity drills. If it works, use it!

Freedom isn't free!

...well, i just said wing chun cos that's my base.

i mean, some of the things you've mentioned before; i could've replaced the kempo terms and inserterd wing chun moves and it would still be 'correct'.

i'm pretty sure the same could be said by any other styles.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."