• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Styles of Kempo/Kenpo

Chris from CT

I was curious if anybody here that studies any of the many types of Kempo/Kenpo. I thought I had seen a post from a Kajukenbo practitioner. I study Shaolin Kempo which is an offshoot of it.

"Kempo/Kenpo anyone?"

Take care :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey wasssup Chris.

Finally, i was beginnig to think that i was the only kempo/kenpo practitioner in this whole forum. Anyways whats up bra. That was my post you probaly saw , I study kajukenbo which is a offshoot style from Professor James Mitoses kosho ryu or kenpo jujitsu style. which ever one you want to call it. And I also study Limalama which is also considered a Kenpo art.

haven`t heard of it!!! i guess all learn something new if someone tells you!!! :smile:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

Hey!

In Shaolin Kempo we have punch techniques and then separate numbered combinations...I was wondering in Kajukenbo, do you do numbered combinations? I'm trying to find out where they originally came into play.

Take care, Bro :smile:

Chris LaCava

We have punching techniques and than we also have techniques that are numbered. Sometimes when we train my sensei will tell me to do a technique against a opponent throwing a certain kind of punch and he'll just say" show me waza" no specific technique just whatever technique comes out of us. And than there are times when he'll say " show me techniques 1 or 2 etc" But I dont know if that is from kajukenbo or not. Because my kajukenbo instructor also teaches us Limalama. And when we go train at my senseis old Limalama school they also have numbered techniques.But those numbered techniques are different from the ones my sensei taught us.The ones my sensei taught us are Kajukenbo I could tell because Limalama looks very different from kajukenbo. So I dont know if my sensei just adopted the numbering techniques from his Limalama training or if he learned it during his kajukenbo training. Now that I think about it I wish I knew exactly where that came from. I have'nt had the oppurtunity to train at another kajukenbo school but my own. My sensei's instructor moved to Washington so I dont know if they do that or not. I have a freind who trained Kajukenbo-Chuan Fa so I'll ask him if they have numbered techniques.

That's cool! You have to check out Mark Urbin's pages. There is alot of info on the different Kempo/Kenpo systems.

This is one of them...

http://webpages.charter.net/eclipse-eww/EWW/MA/KF/

This one shows the different lineages and where each one came from...

http://webpages.charter.net/eclipse-eww/EWW/MA/KF/famtrees.html

It's where I got some of my information for my own lineage page.

There is alot of good stuff on his site. And if you had any questions about a style of Kempo this page is a must see to get an idea about it.

Take care :smile:

Chris LaCava

[ This Message was edited by: Chris from CT on 2002-05-30 19:02 ]

Chris LaCava

• 2 weeks later...

On 2001-09-29 23:54, kajugangsta wrote:

We have punching techniques and than we also have techniques that are numbered.

I have a freind who trained Kajukenbo-Chuan Fa so I'll ask him if they have numbered techniques.

Hey, Kajugansta.

What is your first numbered technique like? Did your friend have them also?

Thanks. :smile:

Chris LaCava

• 7 months later...

I do Kempo. Black belt..

But i need to study more about the people who does Kempo.

Kempo dude says: Stand up show me what you got, im black belter in kempo, im a Kempo champ. lets see who will win!

i have a question for the kempo people, if i do kempo, muay thai and tae kwon do, will any of those martial arts interfer with each other. ex. are kempo stances a lot different than taekwondo, and is the phiosophy different?

i do muay thai pretty informally, i goto a muaythai/kickboxing place and mostly spar and train, but not on a regular schedual, i just pick up moves and add them to my arsenal of tkd techniques.

also, what weapon do you start with in kempo and which do u learn?

bunbu ichi