• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

not quite...

when chairman mao took over, he effectively banned anything that can lead to the people rising up.

certain classical teachings (martial arts, religion and generally anything that is 'anti-communist' or anything that can lead to a community/grouping beyond that of communism) were restricted and then banned.

a little while later.....

they realised that they needed something to strengthen the peoples trust in them.

they needed something to promote that is chinese, for morale if anything.

what they came up with was the teaching of what they then called quo-shu (national art) which was supposed to instill some sort of national pride.

this title was then changed to 'wu-shu' for a reason that i cannot remember.

now while these arts look spectacular, there was always the reminder of what happened with the boxer rebellion, hence the wushu forms, which you must remember were chosen by a panel of government recognised individuals, were not in any respect fighting forms even though they might contain moves taht resemble 'real' techniques.

also, the teaching of this new wushu was not focused on anything other than the exhibition of so even if there were legitimate techniques, the performers, which is what they were, were unable to use effectively.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i don't naturally have any problem with wushu.

or even the people who do wushu as long as they recognise what they do for what it is.

i mean, after all, they are all highly trained athletes with way more dedication and they work their arses off.

much respect is due to them.

what i don't like are people who take wushu to be a fighting art and then cite it as representative of allchinese arts (i.e dumb ignorant ucks).

name famous wushu guys and look for what they say about its fighting ability.

i guess the most famous son of wushu is jet li.

even from way back, he never claimed that his wushu has made him a good fighter.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

@ drunken monkey .. i dont know ... im not sure about my classes i would prefer a chinese master to be my teacher but no can do .. i want to travel to china some time in the future and maybe practice for a year .. i'll find out my style

Orange sash

i've said it before and i'll say it again.

there are probably more mcdojos in china than in america.

put it this way, if hundreds of thousands of people turn up in your neighbourhood every year asking if there's anywhere to learn martial arts then pretty soon, martial arts schools will open where there were none before....

don't hold too much faith in the shaolin temple as it is now.

you have to remember that this was pretty much a cash cow for the government....

don't get me wrong.

you will get to learn proper shaolin forms and stuff but i don't see the point as you can learn shaolin from lots of other very good sources, especially in the west.

depends on what you are looking for.

from what i gather, there ARE reputable schools in china but i'm not sure you'll find them easily.

in fut shan, there's a school of wing chun guys that teach the early wing chun of yip man from before he began to modernise the forms and remove excess.

the five big familes still have their schools there.

there's also the jing wu school of fok yuen kap.

it's just most of the schools left china and moved to places just outside of mainland (hong kong, taiwan, macau etc etc)

there are plenty of good schools in england.

shaolin has a good school in london.

wing chun is everywhere.

eagle claw has a good school here.

mantis has a good school here.

i'm not convinced that the old chinese sifus are neccessarily going to be the best teachers (although the ones i mentioned all are tied to the original chinese sifus...).

for a sart, not understanding the language is always going to be a hindrance, especially when the concepts and phrases do not translate well into english.

you will always be losing something in the translation or else spend too much time trying to understand what is being said.

either way, you lose.

again, i stress, it all depends on what you are looking for and why you are looking for it.

ok i found out what my club is : ... our club is caled Shen Hsing Tao ( which i think means mind body spirit ) the club doesnt concentrate on one set style we hav adopted all styles and a syllabus was writing for our federation in the early 60s i tihnk.

i was speaking to my teacher and he said ' we use many styles ... some parts are judo, some kung fu , tai chi chaun, ba qua, jujitsu, taekwondo'

i was like .. WAH!?!? im really learnin that many things ?!?!

and this is why i figure i got my orange in 3 months .. the lower belts are easily achieved to keep people interested and most ppl in my area are lazy ppl who need encouragment. but i know its going to be a lot harder to get my green and so on

Orange sash