• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wushu means 'war art' in chinese, and was originally used to describe the vast expanse of martial arts in china.

Check out Wushidao.com as an alternative. Wushidao is "the way of the warrior."

Wushidao is a new American system comprising the Chinese arts, Judo, BJJ, and karate.

Modern wushu is very flashy, all about katas. I've never heard of sparring in modern wushu.

Some arts are completely combat-oriented...mod. wushu is completely artistic!

In Wushidao, we like to include the artistic without losing sight of full contact competition.

In a recent Judo tournament, one combatant attempted a throw, but was countered by his opponent with a sacrifice throw. While executing the sacrifice, the countering opponent dropped to his own back and cleanly chunked the combatant that began the exchange.

It was judged that the countering opponent was the loser for the following reason. In the tradition of the Samurai, the countering opponent knew that death was near as he was being thrown. As a last dying act, he dropped to his own back, in a sacrifice move, in order to make one last attack before death. Since the counter was the act of a dying Samurai, he could not be judged the winner.

If however, the countering opponent had first blocked the initial throw, then executed the same counter, he would have been the winner.

In this instance, art, philosophy, and full contact competition all came together.

In Wushidao, we like to include the artistic without losing sight of full contact competition.

Still pimping your club, eh? :roll:

Just to clarify... wushidao has nothing to do with 'wushu,' in the traditional sense, at least as far as i've been able to tell from that silly website.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 4 weeks later...

however you want to define it- today (meaning in the present) if you do "wushu" it means youre a gymnist acrobat typa person who does flashy cool stuff for movies, and nothign to do with real fighting.

a broken arm throws no punches

not just today but for the last sixty/seventy years.

wushu means something very specific and it is definitely not fighting.

taking the name wushu and applying it to your club is a sign that you do not understand fully the implications of the name as it is now, nor do you understand how the name as used in the past.

in the past the arts were called wushu very loosely and very rarely.

they were almost always refered to as kung fu and probably even by the actual style's name.

you don't say you learn wushu,

you say you learn hung kuen.

you say you learn wing chun.

you say you learn shaolin.

if you were being general, you would say you learn kung fu.

also, the only times that i know of that 'wushu' was used, was to refer to the old stage/street performers.

make of that what you will.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

well, i'm one of the people who propagates and grooms fighters for the wushu sanshou. its an amateur sport involving punching,kicking and take down. one solid puch gets one point one solid kick gets one point. take down while the one doing the technique stands gets 2 points etc etc etc (i'm getting tired typing) but i'm likely to bet on them than bet on people who says they do not fight or play bcoz their technique is dangerous but gets no sparring.

why did we surrender lord?

but wushu san shou is not the same thing as wushu.

it isn't even vaguely similar.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

As far as I remember from a documentary Wu Shu is a waterred down Kung Fu (I'm not trying to offend anyone ... ) more like gymnastics made up in order to still compete in MA. It was a ban put by the Government and Kung Fu was a bit put aside (or at least that's what they thought). The martial artists hid the techniques in this "style" and could still compete and teach what they knew. It's like gymnastics, but it still involves the fighting techniques ...

I might be wrong. Still, if I'm right then wushu san shou and wushu are really different