• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okinawain styles vs. Japanese

fireka

Well, I would dare to say, the kata bunkai of Seibukan is from another world when compared to the bunkai of Shotokan. (I'm talking about the official bunkai - of course you can do the same bunkai from any style's kata, but we're discussing the official curricula of the styles)

Indeed, however basic technique quite similar in any style. If one posits "Karate" as consisting of a finite set of complex body positions and techniques, then the differences between styles becomes one of intereperetation.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely! All karate have more or less the same basics (the stances, kicks, blocks and punches only have minor differences). The differences in the styles come from the strategies, tactics and the beef (that is, how the methods are used for self defence). In Japan, more focus has been shifted to simple use of kicks, blocks and punches in tournament type fights, after the masses learned the basics in school, that is what they wanted to do. On Okinawa, most of the focus is on studying the old interpretations (a.k.a. tichiki) of the kata for self defence. They (most of them anyway) never got so interested in tournaments. So, the kicks and punches are the same, but they focus on different ways of using them. And as the tournaments in Japan don't allow grappling, throwing or wrestling, those aspects seem to get less attention in the Japanese styles (though there are exceptions, like Wado ryu which added grappling from jujutsu to it's curriculum, when they wanted to have that stuff too, but didn't know the original tichiki of their kata).

What are we talking about here? Any Japanese Martial Art vs any Okinawa Martial Art? Or are we talking about karate? The basic suffix gives us an indication as to whether it is still practiced as a Martial Art, or practiced as a safe sport. Jutsu is a Martial Art that has devastating application in a real fight but it all comes down to the person. Do is taught as a safe sport. I know I have said this a million times but it still doesn't seem to click.

Neil

Hmm.... well, Okinawans who used karate knew and had the right way of karate, the true way and they had the 'both sides' of karate. But japanese took over it and lost the real meaning. So, I guess Okinawan styles are more original, and I like it.

Kill is love

I guess that I would question the notion that Karate is static, and that there is a mysterious "one correct way," as compared to many "absolutely awful yucky ways."

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I agree. Things that don't evolve die. I study okinawan karate, but I've no problem with japanese influence in karate, or even American influence. For me, karate is not a religion. It isn't even a way of life. It is something I enjoy doing, just as I like to play guitar. Perhaps most people don't respect this way of thinking, but that's how I like it.

im not sure who posted it, nor will i waste my time by clicking back to check, but that think about jutsu suffix vs. do...what the heck! do simply means 'the way of' it has nothing at all to do with the sport. i was going to just be a referee..but come on...oh and to clarifiy, strictly karate, otherwise i would have put this in style comparrison. and karate is very effective on the street so ehwww! :P

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

If you think you're doing jyutsu, you're probably wrong.

From Master Seikichi Toguchi regarding do vs. jyutsu:

JYUTSU AND DO - THE MEANS AND THE WAY

"First you see the way"

"Then you practise the way"

"Finally,you become the way"

Seikichi Toguchi

"There is no gate on the way of life that refuses entrance to those who want to pass through. If you want to go somewhere, take any way because there are thousands of ways. If, luckily, you succeed in your goal, the way will disappear and you will become the way. There is no 'way'for your life. Your mind is the way."

These are phrases often used in Zen Buddhism. From them you can gather that "the way" is a complex concept. But at the same time, it is simple enough to be found in our everyday lives without going out of our way to search for it.

Many of the old Japanese martial arts added "Jyutsu" to their names, such as Ken-Jyutsu (fencing) or Jyu-Jyutsu. After Jigaro Kano, the founder of Kodo-Kan, changed the name of Jyu-Jyutsu to Jyu-Do, many martial arts followed suit; thus Ken-Jyutsu became Ken-Do, Kyu-Jyutsu(archery) became Kyu-Do and Karate-Jyutsu became Karate-Do.

"DO" means "The Way" in Japanese characters.

What is the difference between "Jyutsu" and "Do"? "Jyutsu" is one of the highest levels of technical ability in the martial arts, which only a few people are able to attain after many years of hard and special training.

In the old days, martial artists of all styles tried to reach the technical level of "Jyutsu", but really their ultimate purpose was to attain "Do" (the way or enlightenment), it was for"Do" or "the way" that they strove to polish their technique to "Jyutsu".

I wonder if this topic would have the same meaning if we asked "Are apples better than oranges?"

I can only speak for the Japanese side of things, so my official opinion doesn't hold water here.

*rei*

Oranges are better. I appreciate the tangy flavor of a fresh orange, over the mild sweet taste of an apple. I would have to admit that oranges tend to be a bit more messy to eat, but a small price to pay.