• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

turonaga.... you didnt really take the context of that too effectively. Judo is not an effective multiple attacker art. If you take the time to throw someone in a multiple attacker situation then you yourself will be struck several times by the other people against you. While Aikido's circular motions make it hard for several opponents to get after you when it is a multiple attacker situation.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if you take the time to throw, why throw? why? all you practice is throw? certainly kodokan is not just merely throwing and aikido not merely pinning and immobilization.

why did we surrender lord?

• 1 month later...

As someone who studies an style of Aikido which has heavy ties to Judo, I'd like to get in on this discussion.

I would definately say that Judo techniques have a definate place alongside the throws and joint techniques of Aikido and Jujitsu in a realistic street environment, even against multiple attackers. The principle problem to that statement is that most judo schools focus so heavily on the competitive sportive nature of the art, that students do not learn how to properly use their techniques against more realistic attacks.

Aikido has it's weaknesses as well. It oft times lacks in ability to deal with a well trained attacker, and takes longer to master for most students in it's purest most conceptual form.

I think that's the trade off you get when choosing one over the other. I was lucky to find a style of aikido that takes the best from aikido, judo, and traditional jujitsu and blends it all into a seamless system. While it still has it's weak points I think all in all it covers the bases fairly well.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

• 2 weeks later...

One big difference is in the stlye of some of the joint locks. In Aikido, there is no joint lock technique that requires you to extend your opponent's arm out into a hyperextended position as in juji-katame.

The body's natural defense mechanism draws the arms back to the body in a fight situation. If you have tried any type of grappling art, I'm sure you have experienced juji-katame, either on the giving or receiving end. If you are applying it, you may notice how your opponent will try to pull back their arm or roll out of it before the technique is fully applied. And if you've been on the receiving end, you know what I'm talking about.

Many of Aikido's locks are based on application to the arm when it is close to the body in a 'pulled back' position. Although there are techniques that can be applied to an extended arm, they are only used if the arm is extended already.

HTH