• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the similarities between the two and what are the differences?

What does one have that the other doesn't visa versa.

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido is in most cases a soft style, were as Judo is hard. But at the higher levels of practice, both stylists are very light and powerful.

Ofcourse Judo has lots of full resistance training and ground work practice, in addition to standing work. But this is usually restricted to different grips on the Gi.

Aikido works on the assumtion that Ki excists, (I believe it does) and so all the movements are based on that idea. Theres a fantastic thread on the Aiki web that discribes Aikido training better than I could, so heres the link:

"My answer to the big question"

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4038

I've heard that in aikido you cannot practise your techniques on someone full force. I was wondering if this was ture. And if so how do you spar then?

Thanks

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

• 5 months later...
I've heard that in aikido you cannot practise your techniques on someone full force. I was wondering if this was ture. And if so how do you spar then?

Thanks

Actually, that's false. Because Aikido techniques go with the natural range of motion of the joint, as opposed to against it (like in some more classical styles of Japanese Jujutsu), the pain caused by the technique is temporary - a technique that is in line with the philosophy of Aikido would only cause temporary pain, as opposed to permanent damage - you can therefore practice full force, and without the extensive padding needed to do so in a striking style; the one caveat would be that the person receiving the technique would have to know how to fall and/or roll correctly so as not to be injured by hitting the ground improperly. Also realize that we're talking about a trained Aikidoka here - if someone with little knowledge tries to execute an Aikido technique, can't get it, and muscles through it, permanent damage to the person on which the technique was applied on can definitely result.

Sparring, or randori, can be done against one person or vs. multiple opponents. When you are being attacked by more than one assailant, you learn the importance of positioning, and why constant movement is essential. In a multiple opponents scenario, the defender often uses his attackers as "shields", or even throws them into the other attackers. It is usually not something done by a beginner - they graduate from static postures ("here, grab my wrist"), to telegraphed attacks ("I'm going to punch at you, starting from way over here"), and then to randori. Depending on the state of mind of the defender and what they are attempting to accomplish, Aikido can be relatively gentle, or extremely brutal.

• 1 month later...

I am talking second hand now, from a guy I train with. He is first or second dan judo and trains aikido now for a year.

He said a big difference between judo and aikido is the use of force. In judo most of the time you are resisting against your opponent, while in aikido you usually comply with your opponent; using his own energy against him. He showed me a video where you see some very experienced aikido showing their techniques and I noticed too, they hardly had to use force.

René

• 2 weeks later...
Judo is the way maximizing your energy through the most efficient means. Maximum results minimum energy. It is not a hard style, judo means soft way. Now Ai Ki Do is largely misunderstood. It translates into harmonious (Ai) energy ( very loose translation for Ki) and way (do). It is entirely based on non linear motion and non violent threat deterents. If someone projects ki at you blend with it never resist

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• 1 month later...

Judo is different from Aikido in many aspects. Well Aikido uses handfighting (wrist twists, thumb crushes, and kyusho points) skills and joint locks to the extreme. Also it is very philisophical. Aikido has one major advantage over Judo.... Aikido is designed to fight many opponents at once, whereas Judo you have one adversary and you will choke him out. Dont get me wrong I like Judo a lot... but the techniques are simple and involve little strength. Generally after being slammed on the ground your opponent will not muster the energy to get back up again. The two (when in comparison) have their pros and cons. Judo is a great one vs one art, with superior grappling skills, great throws, and practical. Aikido is great if you have to take 3 or 4 at once where you need fast action to protect yourself. Also the techniques are fun to do and experiment with.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

judo isn't just slamming someone to the ground. judo does not only focus on one vs one. its has application on multiple opponents so is aikido. judo emphasizes practice with a partner (tori or nage and uke) so is aikido. judo has submission techniques so is aikido. however both has different principles of training. judo focuses first on body then the mind while aikido mind first then the body follows. judo is a competitive art while aikido is an art without compitition (well, some styles develop a system to compete in aikido) what else?

why did we surrender lord?