• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

become black belt

i just wondered whether "every" martial studend is going to achieve training, if they attend class for several years. is it just training at the dojang and/or at home that makes u fit for in a far away future to become a black belt? a little hard to believe for me... i think there has to be put some more effort in it, but because i dont even attend class yet i dont have any clue about this. just wondered where i as a hobby martial artists am going to end up. whether it is one of the intermediate ones, or whether it goes on and on with the ranking and its just a question of time.

sry for this since it might be a very stupid question but i was just curious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the main reason for training is to simply be better than you already are. for ever person you beat, there will always be ten more better, waiting to fight. i don't think that aiming for belts of awards is important. what is important is the art that you are learning.

it's a shame you don't train in a class of some sort. one of the best things of going to train with a group of people is the atmosphere. we are more or less a family, we don't have any belt system and simply refere to each other as si-hing/si-dai/si-miu etc...

we go to each other for help in all sorts of matters because we know we can rely on each other both inside and outside of the training hall.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

thank u - i consider myself enlighted :)

it's a shame you don't train in a class of some sort.

yes indeed - i am very much looking forward to finally be able to get started at the dojang i picked for me. unfortuneatly i have so wait some more weeks :cry:

with the black belt i didnt refer to the peace of cloth without any color but to the level of skills u achieved. since many say "black belt is only the beginning", it is already kind of high for a hobby martial artist. or isnt it? now - well; actually i wanted to figure that out with this posts :karate:

Well....it's like the old saying: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!" Just because you go to class doesn't mean you are going to learn by osmosis and suddenly one day you are a Black Belt. It doesn't work that way (as fas as I know!) and anyway, what would it mean if you didn't have to work HARD for it? We've all had students like that haven't we? :roll:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i just wondered whether "every" martial studend is going to achieve training, if they attend class for several years. is it just training at the dojang and/or at home that makes u fit for in a far away future to become a black belt? a little hard to believe for me... i think there has to be put some more effort in it, but because i dont even attend class yet i dont have any clue about this. just wondered where i as a hobby martial artists am going to end up. whether it is one of the intermediate ones, or whether it goes on and on with the ranking and its just a question of time.

sry for this since it might be a very stupid question but i was just curious.

I don't know where you'll end up. You could decide after a few months that you can't stand it, or it is too much work, etc. MOST people that start training in a martial art DON'T get their black belts. Some stick around for a month, some longer, but the fact is most don't get their black belts. Of course, you also could be someone that ends up training for the rest of their lives; martial arts are so much a part of me I always consider myself a martial artist - whether I'm actively training or not.

Take advantage of the ranking system you'll have, and focus on the short term goals for now.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Just because you go to class doesn't mean you are going to learn by osmosis and suddenly one day you are a Black Belt. It doesn't work that way (as fas as I know!) and anyway, what would it mean if you didn't have to work HARD for it? We've all had students like that haven't we?

guess u got me wrong. my question was not "do i get my blackbelt as a present because i visited one class or maybe even two??"

MOST people that start training in a martial art DON'T get their black belts

now this is an answer to my question!

you also could be someone that ends up training for the rest of their lives

yeah - i wish for me that i will. which style is not yet decided; i chose TKD for now but maybe i am not comfortable with it anymore after certain amount of time.

it all depends on your mental will power. If you are weak mentally, you will never make it to black belt (or, atleast, shouldn't).

However, once your prove your mental strength and recieve black belt, and continue training, I think the mental tests should stop. I don't think it's necessary for an instructor to constantly mentally test his proven students (or sub-instructors, either). I just don't see how that breeds loyalty.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

I just meant that some people think that all they have to do is go to class for 3-4 years and that should be enough. Then they get mad because they don't get their BB and quit. About 1 out of 100 actually stick with it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I wish I could find Ken Furuya's essay "What is a Black Belt" online somewhere. It covers much of this same ground.

I thionk for many of us, the rank thing is secondary, at best. I train becasue I can't imagine NOT training.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

it all depends on your mental will power. If you are weak mentally, you will never make it to black belt (or, atleast, shouldn't).

i dont think it is JUST will power... its a big part of it though.

I just meant that some people think that all they have to do is go to class for 3-4 years and that should be enough. Then they get mad because they don't get their BB and quit. About 1 out of 100 actually stick with it

that would have been too easy :wink: