• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No punching to head allowed?

Silverunicorn

I'm interested in Kyokushin but one of its sparring rules is weird... punching to head is not allowed!! I heard that Kyokushin guys often are unaware of attack to their heads because of the rule. Do you think the rule will cause a serious problem in fighting/self defense?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Geesh, this one keeps popping up a dozen times today... Kyokushin tournament rules forbid head punches. That's all, tournaments. In class you spar with different kinds of rule sets and equipments. Edited by Kirves

That is one of the Disadvantages to Kyokushin, Most top level Kyokushin guys have cross trained in boxing.

However when looking at it the advantages outweigh the disadvantages imo.

Kyokushin guys are usually very tough and have very effective kicks.

They are usually known for their body shots aswell.

I'm interested in Kyokushin but one of its sparring rules is weird... punching to head is not allowed!! I heard that Kyokushin guys often are unaware of attack to their heads because of the rule. Do you think the rule will cause a serious problem in fighting/self defense?

Hmm, well I don't think I've ever come across that problem. I've recently gone to another dojo (different style) with a Kyokushin buddy of mine and both of us have been told how good we are at sparring. If that tells you anything :D I think how well you block to the head is really going to just depend on how aware of your opponents movements you are, and like Kirves said that is a tournament rule. I would go check out a Kyokushin dojo and watch them spar. See what you think for yourself! Good Luck :wave:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Personally, I sometimes see many advantages in the Kyokushin sparring rules too. In many arts, people seem to become "head hunters", they treat body shots as something "second rate". In Kyokushin you learn how to effectively punch the torso too. Now add to this some head punching skills and you are quite dangerous. And just the very fact that with the Kyokushin rules, you don't wear gloves, is a great advantage. I have a friend who had been kickboxing for years, and when he tried bare-knuckle sparring he was in for a shock - he couldn't believe how hard it feels to get punched with a bare fist to good body targets. Kyokushin fighters learn to deal with the sharp pain of knuckles hitting your body.

Isshin ryu is big in my area for full contact karate. They spar with head punches and all types of throws and take downs. They also have a black belt in judo and a boxing coach come in and teach...