• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In addition to Shootfighting...

I wasn't sure wether to post this on the karateforums, muay thai forums or new to martial arts-forums, so I posted it here. Please put it another place if this ain't the one :)

Very well, over to my question:

I have the choice between chosing Krav Maga, Kyokushin or Muay Thai in addition to my shootfighting. What would do me best? For self defence? For competition(Shootfighting competition)? Etcetera.

Thanks for any replies.

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For pure self defense, I would choose Krav Maga. It is designed to teach a man how to effectively defend against and dispatch an armed opponent, in a relatively short period of time (Israeli soldiers gotta train quick)

For competition, it depends on what you want to compete in.

Kick Boxing, go with Muay Tai. Point sparring, Tae Kwon Do. Mixed Martial Arts, Shootfighting and Brazilian Jujitsu.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

As stated above, I'm only into Shootfighting competition :)

And sadly, there are no BJJ-clubs in my area. :bawling:

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

If you want the similar sporting atmosphere as in Shootfighting, take Muay Thai. If you want to try a more "traditional" atmosphere, with all the traditional "bowing to the sensei", "wearing pajamas" and "studying kata for self defence ideas" then try Kyokushin. Both teach you how to kick and punch hard, the difference lies in the other aspects.

I'll move this to "Getting Started in the Martial Arts", since this is about choosing a martial art. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.