• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Columbus, Ohio schools?

UsagiYojimbo

Wow, thanks for doing that search, KarateKid. I had actually looked up some of those. The reason I was asking for advice is because there are really TOO MANY schools in my area; I wanted help finding the best ones. Bet a lot of people here wish they had that problem, eh? :wink:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yea. I agree. I wish there was that many choices in my area :P hehehehehe

You're welcome, by the way. As far as MA goes, it all depends on what you want out of MA. Do you want self defense, fitness, fun, sport, ect? Once you know what you want, it's all up to you.

For example, I wanted self defense. I went with a school that taught joint locks, counter striking, ect (TSD). Now I go to a school that teaches that stuff, plus throws, grappling, ect.

Once you know what you want, go check out a few schools. Most of them offer free trial programs. Just stear clear of the "long term contracts." I been there, done that ..... not a good thing ;)

Good luck :)

Laurie F

Long term contracts O.O what? Meaning how long ? I have a 1 year one with my dojo, but figured it was just so that people dont just join and leave.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I did the one year contract thing. That's not bad (it was in TSD, and I love the school, so it wasn't so bad). But the one that I did with the three year contract is bad! I ended up hating the school and had to buy the contract out for $400 (it's better than paying full tuition for another year for 1300!).

Laurie F

contracts?!?!?! what is going on here, what has the world come to since i left the states,,......oh my......good luck, i hope you survive this nonsense and learn from it, or find a better school....that is just silly no offense but it sounds like the instructor is a little unsure of his skill so he has to make a contract, jeez this isn't an apt complex for college students, if you don't like it you should be able to just leave.....this is terrible......sorry

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I agree with Granmaster. One of the schools that I was looking at had contracts, and they required that you fork out a bunch of money up front. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with that. If, after a month you decide it isn't for you, you're in trouble. Now I agree that MA takes discipline, but I think that should be on the part of the participant, who's disciplined because he/she wants to be there, not because they feel they have to because they're locked into a contract... oh well.

End rant.