• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi folks I'm new

Ti

Hello everybody.

I just started Karate and I'm a blue belt now.

I don't really know much and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good brand of gi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What style you practice? Cause blue belt isnt just started O.O :D

guess i should rephrase that, in my style blue isnt just started :)

Edited by hobz

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Hi and welcome to the forum. In regards to your ? about a good brand gi, first ask yourself if your are going to be in the martial arts for the long run. If your answer is "yes" then I would suggest that you invest in a medium to heavywt. gi. Stay away from the student lightweight gi's that are half polyester/cotton or full polyester.

Instead for budgetary reasons, you can invest in a nice 100% cotton middleweight gi, or a nice 100% combed cotton canvas gi that'll last you for sometime. I personnally wear a Ronin brand middleweight gi that is faily priced. There are others out there and I'm sure you'll hear about them.

In regards to the heavyweight gi's, I have a Macho heavyweight that's nice, and when I bought it, it cost me around $52.00. There is also the KI brand gi(https://www.ki-international.com). Ronin also makes a heavyweight, as does ProForce. There's also the creme dela creme in the Jaoan made heavyweights such as Tokaido and Shureido, but these particular gi's run the hundreds of dollars($200.00 or so).

So these are just a few. Like I said you'll hear from others about particular brands and distributers. Do a search on the internet, and you'll see you have lots to choose from with varying prices. Good luck :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Welcome you may want to make this post in the introduction section because that is where most tend to say hello.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree. I will move this to the intro forum, so you can get more advice :)

As far as gi's, mine are Proforce. They don't shrink and they "take a beating" no matter what weight they are. I have had one for three years and it's still holding strong, even after so many washings. Check them out ;)

Laurie F

Thanks for the replys guys.

I didn't know there was an intro forum.

Usually the forums I go to don't have such a thing.

I do Shotokan Karate.

I guess I'm not that new.

I've been doing it for 6 months now.

My sensei is away currently and I'm waiting for him to come back in a month or so and then I'll pick up my training again.

I was looking into medium weight, is the heavy weight too hot to train in?