• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shukokai

TomanGaidin

Just a question... what is shukokai karate, exactly? What are the 'signatures' of the style? Emphasis on kata, or sparring? Any groundwork, or just stand up striking with no grappling? Basically, I'm just after... any information at all, pretty much ;p. Any would be appreciated. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I do Shukokai karate but im not really sure what other styles look like since I have not really seen any others. We mainly do stand up fighting but my teacher likes to add a bit of sweep and groundwork stuff for the older and more senior people (me wuhu) I dont know if this happens in most schools. He also lets me use any of my muay thai or jujitsu if im careful.Like i said though ive never seen another style so i cant really compare............

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

Shukokai was created by Chojiro Tani in 1949. It is derived from Shito-Ryu and as such has characteristics of both the Naha-te and Shuri-te schools of Okinawan Karate. The combination of sharp linear movements (from Shuri-te) with the circular breathing techniques (from Naha-te) can be clearly seen in many of the Shukokai kata.

This is from my clubs website dunno if it makes sense to anyone.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

Tani also modified certain techniques with the intention of increasing their competition effectiveness. Some of these modifications were the double hip twist used when punching, and the increased forward weighting when doing techniques. He was also one of the first to advocate using the foam punching and kicking shields that are now a comoon part of everyone's practice. Tommy Morris in Scotland, who is head of the WKF rules comittee is a Shukokai practioner,as is Seiji Tomiyama, who was an All-Japan champion in the 1960s.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I practise Shokukai, but I also practise Wado-ryu at uni, so what I'm about to say is a comparison between those two styles as I trained in them.

Shokukai is a much more simplified form of karate than Wado-ryu or Shotokan. All basic line traing is done in a high, mobile front stance and the kata have emphasis on the kiba-dachi and short cat stance (neko ashi dachi). Most non-kata training is done in set of pre-set combinations of techniques with real self-defence applications (so less repeating of one tecniques in a line, except my sensei like to come up with complex block, kick, punch lines because he liked to wtach us get confused, also teach us to do not think).

There is much emphasis on pad work to develop power and technique (something I see little of at my Wado-ryu club) and a lot of competion sparring. The moves all emphasise hip movement (a pelvic thrust made to push a little more power into the mae geri, full twist of the hip and shoulder for more force and range in gyaku tsuki) so square shoulders that I've seen in Wado and Shoto are a no no.

The katas are mostly taken from shito ryu and so differ quite from what I saw in other styles with higher stances (more of the okinawan method in the kata). The main kata (that I remember off the top of my head) are

Pinan kata (all 5)

Matsu kaze

Annanku

Jin

Bassai dai

Jirokuno

Suparimpai

Nipaipo

Chinto

Sienshin

Kururunfa

And other that I cant remember sionce I only know up to Matsu Kaze.

Hope that helps. I know a good site on Shokukai and i'll post the link in a min. :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.