SaiFightsMS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Interesting, article you wrote sai. It makes since both storys. Thanks for sharing.

Also I think on the same lines as one of the poseters wrote about the hard one shot one kill type moves in Shotokan. Very straight on respesent the hardness or ferociousness of the tiger.

I enjoyed this. -Jeff

• 4 months later...

Honestly, I don't like the tiger being a symbol of Shotokan. There is hardly any connection between Shotokan and a tiger. They should have chosen a waving pine tree instead. That would make better sense than a tiger.

Edited by Gyte

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Honestly, I don't like the tiger being a symbol of Shotokan. There is hardly any connection between Shotokan and a tiger. They should have chosen a waving pine tree instead. That would make better sense than a tiger.

If im not mistaken, Kahn or in this case kan means king or ruler. so, Shotokan would translate roughly into "the king among the waving pines". if you were to stumble upon such a creature such as a tiger in a forest while meditating on karate, you would so inspired, i know i would, as to adopt its image as your mascot. The King among the Waving Pines and picture a tiger walking among the pine trees under a moonlit sky...the tiger doesnt seem like such a bad idea now does it?

<-----------the art of people folding!

• 2 months later...

If im not mistaken, Kahn or in this case kan means king or ruler. so, Shotokan would translate roughly into "the king among the waving pines". if you were to stumble upon such a creature such as a tiger in a forest while meditating on karate, you would so inspired, i know i would, as to adopt its image as your mascot. The King among the Waving Pines and picture a tiger walking among the pine trees under a moonlit sky...the tiger doesnt seem like such a bad idea now does it?

This is a completely different "kan". The "kan" of "ShotoKAN" means "hall" or, basically, "studio". It basically just implies that this is the place where "Shoto"-type karate is practiced.

The "rolled tiger" is a play on words in japanese. The tiger itself was not meant to be a symbol of Shotokan. It was just an interesting piece of artwork chosen for the cover of a book.

This is a completely different "kan". The "kan" of "ShotoKAN" means "hall" or, basically, "studio". It basically just implies that this is the place where "Shoto"-type karate is practiced.

The "rolled tiger" is a play on words in japanese. The tiger itself was not meant to be a symbol of Shotokan. It was just an interesting piece of artwork chosen for the cover of a book.

yep, agreed

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn