• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After 1st Dan Black Belt

For those that have progressed beyond 1st Dan Black Belt, what are the biggest improvements you have made in your martial arts skills since you achieved 1st Dan? Or has the major improved been in your understanding of the art rather than adding technique to your skill set?

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like to think it's a little of both. Because as you progress, you'll always be adding techniques and knowledge to your tool box. I find that in learning more techniques/skills, I can become creative in the sense that not all techniques have to be kept the same way I've learned them. Sometimes is a combination of techniques, sometimes it's the elimination of certain moves w/in a technique.

As far as knowledge, perhaps philosophy of a martial arts system, I would think that it too will extend outside the dojo, thus making your training more of a way of life, rather than just another extra cirricular activity. :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Mental no question

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Great question :) !!! It's not what you learn after 1st Dan, it's how you learn it. Physical skills develop rapidly at this point as the learning process has been refined and internalized so much that time will not be apparent and learning will come automatically. Techniques are done with an inherent intensity unlike ever before so that muscle memory takes place very quickly and speed increases rapidly. Of course, in most systems/schools 1st Dan requires that you teach...and this begins a process of personal development that intwines itself into everything you do in life. You will change the way you approach almost everything. The expectations that others(students and seniors) hold for you will influence how you look, act, and train. There is no better teacher than being a teacher! :D

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The whole understanding of my art. The philosophy anger control and attitude towards life. I am a much more fullfilled person now, martial arts have really changed my life and outlook on life. As Bruce Lee said and the bible states " We all live in the same world, it just so happens people are different. "

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

Just one more thing sorry, for posting 2 times.

Being a black belt gave me more confidence and the understanding that I could protect myself and not have a false sense of being able to defeat anyone. Because I was " tested " a week ago by 2 thugs outside a bar.

I was walking home when they stumbled out of the bar, it was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And anyway one of them stepped infront of me and said something to me about being in his way, I said I was sorry and and tried to pass him but he stuck his hand out and grabbed by shirt. I applied a simple armlock on him then tripped him to the ground. His other friend came at me while I had his friend in an armbar so I gave him a kick in the ribs which knocked him down and walked off. I use to fight alot when I was first learning San Soo but as I discovered the true meaning of it I began to avoid them and not pick them. He who runs lives to fight another day.

San Soo

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

I agree with Ninjanurse. Eventhough I haven't reach my BB yet, I have learned so much and rapidly, as she said. I have done some teaching, in all three schools I have attended, so I totally agree ;)

Laurie F

My Instructor always told me "Learning begins at black belt". Then, when I got to black belt, he told me "There is nothing more to learn". Then he told me "You can keep working here, but I'm not going to pay you anymore". Actually, he never said that, but it happened. I think after black belt, you should learn how to objectively judge people, especially your own teacher. I've learned in the past few months that my instructor is a total jerk (and not because he stopped paying me, I've been thinking this for a while).

But anyway, my problems are not important to you. The most important thing I ever learned was the process of learning. Before this, I had to be taught everything. After, I could teach myself everything. This isn't something that Karate taught me, actually, my mother taught me. It's taken a couple decades to figure it out properly, but I think I've got it. I've taught myself Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, (Calculus I needed help with, hadn't formulized my process for learning yet), Physics, German, Computer Programming, and within the last year and a half, Martial Arts (that was about the time my Instructor gave up and left me to fend for myself. I'm sure he doesn't think of it that way, but he certainly hasn't taught me anything in atleast that long. Oh wait, he taught me not to be blind towards my superiors, that everyone is deserving of scrutiny at some point.

All the important things you can teach yourself. Sure, you will need a partner or 10 to help you practice (9 extra incase your control is bad). And until you formualize your process for learning, you will need an instructor to tell you what to do. But once you learn how to learn, you no longer need an instructor. You will be beyond the need of an instructor, and will advance much faster on your own 2 feet.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

I appreciate the responses.

I've been a 1st Dan BB for five years. I regularly work out with 1st ~ 5th degree BB's (as well as lower ranking students) and I know the techniques required for the higher ranks but just never went throught the testing process. For me the major change since achieving 1st Dan has been mental. The mental change is to some extent (as someone else mentioned) manifested in having a much easier time assimilating new technique (although a lot of what is "new" is really a new variation of something I already know).

Teaching (I've been teaching since before 1st Dan but the last year or so I've been teaching 5-8 class a week) has been a tremendous learning experience for me not only in really forcing me to focus on the fundamentals of a particular technique but in bringing out a creative side to my martial arts training. I'm beginning to develop my own "new" variations. I say "new" because although the variation may be new to me (never formally taught to me) it is probably not really new in that I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it before.

Anyway, I'm discovering as someone notes in their signature that BB is really the begin of an exciting and wonderful learning process.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin