• advertisement_alt
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... use a belt-buckle? [ducking]

:)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

on the subject of belts.. who has their belt flat at the back and who has the belt crossing over at the back?

I was taught the belt should be flat at the back, and the knot at the front be a flat knot in case you fall flat on your front you won't get a big knot pressing into your belly! :o

But I have seen a lot of low kyu grades at the dojo I'm at now, having the belt cross over at the back and then just tied any-old-way at the front. I don't think Sensei ever told them how to tie them. :-?

motoko

Oh no Major_motoko!! someone needs teach them the right way to tie their belts!! Before it catches on to newer members... which could be a disaster if ya know what i mean :)

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, I didnt realize this was such a common problem. I take private classes so I am one of 2 students in the class. Tying the belt was the very first lesson. Plus I never cared if my gi got pulled open, with the kind of sparring we do, there is no way around it short of not wearing a top.

Ill try to walk through it with you.

Start with it around your front and wrap it all the way around until the ends are pointing in front, then holding each end in the respective hand, cross your left hand over your right, let go of the belt with your left hand and let it drop across your right, now take the end that is in your right hand with your left and just hold it taut while sliding the hanging end of the belt up under both layers and then holding it up against your chest, fold the end that you are holding in your left hand across to your right and then take the end that is against your chest and let it fall on top of the folded over end, then pull it up through the loop and give it a jerk. Now that ought to confuse you just enough to where you will just go ask an instructor to show you... ;)

One quick question...

My instructor makes us always turn our backs to the class to adjust our gi, or straighten our belt. Why? Maybe a silly question, but Im always wondering.

Every man dies...not every man really lives. -Sir William Wallace

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.all-karate.com/karate_belt_tie_1.php

hope that helps some...

the reason you turn your back is martial arts etiquette. same reason people bow before entering the training hall. you give your respect to the art you practice and to those practicing with you. you wouldnt change your clothes in public, would you? (at least, normally). you change in the privacy of your closet...w/ martial arts etiquette, it is shameful to adjust/fix/alter your uniform in plain view of everyone else, so you turn. it is important to remember that when you turn to fix your uniform, you turn counterclockwise to the left, and when returning, clockwise to the right. the reasoning is most ppl are right handed, and in many traditions around the world, the right hand/side is considered superior to the left. think of it as 'L'eave - 'L'eft, 'R'eturn - 'R'ight

"It is said the warrior's is the twofold way of the pen and the sword, and he should have a taste for both ways..."

• 4 weeks later...

:D ..... I wear a T-shirt under my gi....

What type of Gi do you wear, When I first started I had a light weight gi... I always felt like I was falling out of it. Now, I have a few different brands of Heavy Weight gi's I stay in these.

Not all Gi's are created equal. :D

Carol

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

I just have a lightweight cotton gi right now. Can't wait to get the heavier ones, though I'll have to wait months and months and months and months, and... :)

Do you find it difficult to move around in the heavier gis?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."