• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a secret to tying your belt

hobz

All I can say is I'm never getting a silk belt ever again...sticking to satin. I'm still working on my silk belt that I've had for about 2.5 years now and it still looks pretty freaking new, I hate it.

Well, I'd call that good quality. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good quality but what I don't like is how stiff the silk belt is...I know, I'm being dumb..eventually it'll get more "worn"..but I've had it for about 2.5 years now...dab nab it.

It's a Kamikaze and my other belt that I have is a Satin Shureido and it is a lot more worn..didn't take that long at all to get "worn"..

Have any of you had a silk belt before? This is my first silk, the others have been cotton or satin.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Kamikaze's silk belts are actually made by Kamae International. Generally, silk belts can take for a while to break in, since the material is rather durable (more durable than artificial satin). The low friction is another reason for slow "break in".

If you want to soften your belt a bit, wash it. Washing belt every now and then (like once a season) is a good habit anyway, belt is a piece of clothing as well. Handwashing in cool water with soap should be enough. Hang dry the belt, then "nudge" it inch by inch to soften it (i.e. fold it and nudge the fold, go through all the belt this way).

If the belt won't hold its knot, moisten the knot area before tying. This is an old judo tip, presented by Donn F. Draeger in his book about judo kata.

Personally, I like very stiff belts. Knot area will break in rather fast but otherwisely the belt won't be flying all over, staying down better.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 2 weeks later...

after tieing your belt, hold either end, and pull away from the knot, straight out to the sides of your body, slightly angled towards the ground. You have to pull sharply and in time. If you do it right, you should hear a snap similar to the sound a Gi makes in a powerful technique. After a while, the knot area will lossen more than the rest of your belt.

Then, whenever you tie your belt, the knot will tie in that spot, it will be small, tidy, and shouldn't come undone

I'm not sure who you were giving this tip to because I have no problem with my belt coming untied...I was talking about how "stiff" my silk belt is, compared to a cotton or satin belt.

I finally gave in and washed my belt(I was under the myth for years to never wash the obi)and it has helped a lot, haha.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=