• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a secret to tying your belt

hobz

well lets expand this a bit further.

what is correct, short pants vs long pants, "traditional" pant ties vs elastic waist, cotton or polyester blend?

Perhaps velcro will be traditional one day and some one will be in an argument about that vs electro static polymer mixing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I responded prior, we were told to tie it a certain way, in order for it to hang properly, but to also insure that the flow of the Martial Art philosophy (energy training, history) was not impeded by improper tieing of the belt.

Weird, I know...

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 3 weeks later...

The weight of the gi plays a big role in that as well. Big differance between a light weight and heavy weight staying in place.

It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art (i.e. karate) of someone who is too serious has no "flavor."

-motobu

About the belts... you want to make sure that it's not so loose it's halfway down your butt, but you don't want it to be so tight that you can't breathe. Also your belt's 'secureness' can depend somewhat on its age. If you have a brand-new belt, you're gonna have to tie it really hard to keep it from just springing back apart. If you have an old belt, you should be able to tie it without any problems.

I learned this really cool thing from one of my senseis when I earned my yellow belt. I was so excited that I tied it on kinda messy and she was like, "Whoa, where's your fortune-cookie knot?" I was like, "Huh?" and she showed me how to tie it. To describe it vaguely, when you've wrapped the belt around you twice and have both ends even, you turn/flip the end on the right so that it makes a sort of L pointig to the left. Then you take the left end and push it underneath and through. I don't think that made any sense but hey, I tried.

Hope I helped. :bigwink:

"A black belt is a white belt that never gave up."

your belt will tie better whith wear and tear and it dont matter about your belt it is only ther to hold up ur trousers :lol:

The Reason I Train, Is So I Dont Have To Fight.

I completely love that we have a stickied, 13 page thread about tying your belt. That kind of says it all - what karateka has escaped any problems tying their belt?

I tie my belt without thinking about it (now!), but that can be a problem when showing a new student how to tie their belt.

"You just take about this much of your belt in your right hand, then *wrap wrap tuck knot* like so."

Student: o_0

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

hobz:

When you say loose gi top, do you mean that it slips out from your belt? Or maybe you need a size smaller gi?? Usually, I try to wear a looser gi for range of motion, less binding. Also, after constant washings, the gi tends to shrink anyways after time.

There are some gi's that actually provide for extra room in the armpit area, so the gi jacket dosen't pull out over your belt. One such gi is the Meijin distributed by Dragon Times. I have one that is custom made, and also provides for the extra room in the armpit area for greater range of motion.

If you wear a white gi, then I suggest looking into the Meijin brand gi. You can easily find their website on a search, just type in Meijin gi, and you should find their website easily. The cost is reasonable, and perhaps this would cure your gi problem :brow: .

There are 2 Meijin companies as far as I can see. But they look the same. One is in Sheperds Bush, London, the other is in the US I think. The name logo looks the same though. Are they different or one and the same but run by different people?

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I completely love that we have a stickied, 13 page thread about tying your belt. That kind of says it all - what karateka has escaped any problems tying their belt?

I tie my belt without thinking about it (now!), but that can be a problem when showing a new student how to tie their belt.

"You just take about this much of your belt in your right hand, then *wrap wrap tuck knot* like so."

Student: o_0

ROTFL!

Little children, love one another. – St. John the Apostle

+ J.M.J +

--------------------------------------------

Shodan-Ho - Kimura Shukokai

All I can say is I'm never getting a silk belt ever again...sticking to satin. I'm still working on my silk belt that I've had for about 2.5 years now and it still looks pretty freaking new, I hate it.

While I'm on the subject I know a Karateka that took his satin belt an dliterally took a knife and started scraping it up so it would look older. I have never took such steps but this silk belt is kinda ticking me off in how stiff it is.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=