• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a secret to tying your belt

hobz

I can tie it fine, it's just somehow my Gi always flies open! Geez, maybe I just have to get the feel for it. Hopefully :\

I sometimes find myself constantly straightning it out.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our gi's have little strings that tie to the other side side so that even while sparring, or gis stay relatively shut. The belt, after being worn for a while stays tied longer, the new stiff belts come easily undone. So, maybe our gi's ar different with the strings, or you belt is too easily undo-able?

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

We have the strings too, and i didnt mean FLYING open, just i dunno feels to loose :) Maybe I'm just worried :P

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Whenever you do any full range of motion exercises, you will probably have to adjust your gi. You should try some grappling and see what you look like. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

hobz:

When you say loose gi top, do you mean that it slips out from your belt? Or maybe you need a size smaller gi?? Usually, I try to wear a looser gi for range of motion, less binding. Also, after constant washings, the gi tends to shrink anyways after time.

There are some gi's that actually provide for extra room in the armpit area, so the gi jacket dosen't pull out over your belt. One such gi is the Meijin distributed by Dragon Times. I have one that is custom made, and also provides for the extra room in the armpit area for greater range of motion.

If you wear a white gi, then I suggest looking into the Meijin brand gi. You can easily find their website on a search, just type in Meijin gi, and you should find their website easily. The cost is reasonable, and perhaps this would cure your gi problem :brow: .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

on the subject of belts.. who has their belt flat at the back and who has the belt crossing over at the back?

I was taught the belt should be flat at the back, and the knot at the front be a flat knot in case you fall flat on your front you won't get a big knot pressing into your belly! :o

But I have seen a lot of low kyu grades at the dojo I'm at now, having the belt cross over at the back and then just tied any-old-way at the front. I don't think Sensei ever told them how to tie them. :-?

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi