• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White belt or old belt?

White Belt or Old Belt?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. White Belt or Old Belt?

• White Belt
    • Old Belt

well, on one hand, no that's not so bad. it's nice to show some humility and start a new style as a white belt. i like the idea of it, really.

but put yourself in the shoes of another yellow belt who was competing at the tournament. it's unfair for other students to have to compete against someone with more martial arts experience than a normal yellow belt could be expected to have. and imagine if that had been a sparring event - a yellow belt with a normal yellow belt level of experience would probably get his @%!$ kicked by someone who's wearing a yellow belt but has a higher rank in another style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is always common courtesy to show up with a white belt, but ask the instructor. This way, you at least show a willingness to compromise. If you are asked to start over as a white belt (I have had this happen to me before), make sure you don't end up like that arrogant person karatekaaikidoist has to deal with in another post.

As far as whether or not is fair in a tournament...tournaments are just games anyway, so I would go with what the instructor asks you to do rather than worry about some other guy.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 7 months later...

Another problem in that tournament discussion. Guess you've come to know people who just don't feel like rushing in the ranks. I have some coleagues that were in the class when I started and some are still white belts, cause they didn't feel like grading and sensei doesn't push us. He tells you are ready, but it's up to you.

So a person like that goes to a tournament and fights a similar belt, though should have a high rank.

I think when going to tourneys you must be prepared for anything ...

• 1 month later...

I think when going to tourneys you must be prepared for anything ...

Got the moral of the story there in one... :-/

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Comeing from anothr style, he wears white- no two ways about it. If he has a problem with that, give him a black belt with pink stripes and wish him well on his way!

Freedom isn't free!

I went from Tang Soo Do to TKD. I started at white, because the styles were different. I also went from TKD to TKD. I kept my rank (instructor's choice), but I decided to down grade (my choice).

I think if the styles are different, even if they could be similar in some ways, start at white belt. If it's the same style, you can get away with keeping previous rank IF you can show that you DO know your stuff, and can learn the tiny differences pretty quickly (which I have done, and caught up to what my old rank was anyways fairly quickly).

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

It depends if it's the same martial art they're practicing but switching from another organization, When you got to another martial art you'll have to start out as a begginner In my opinion.