• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

using karate, do you agree??.....

Shotokan_Fighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I agree. The moves that you know, and are able to use in defense must be just second nature to you. It must be in your mind and you can use it without much thinking about it. All as long it is in self defense.

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

I agree. The moves that you know, and are able to use in defense must be just second nature to you. It must be in your mind and you can use it without much thinking about it. All as long it is in self defense.

So you actually think that a fight cannot be won by a method that wasn't intuitively thought? This is a big misconception. Yes, it helps if you can respond to any threat with a "spine response" but many fights in the world happen between people who have never trained anything before, yet one of them wins. Thus, winning doesn't require one to have intuitive response, it is an advantage but not a requirement. A good strategy, or a strike of luck, can make one win a fight.

I agree on the reacting without thinking stance. When attacked you may have only seconds to react if your lucky, any hesiatation may be your last. We do a drill in class where students line up on either side to make a gaunlet and you have to walk down the middle of it. The students will grab you in different ways using different techniques and you have to counter as soon as you are attacked. Some of the students won't grab you or two may grab you at once. It's a good exercise to keep you on your toes! IMHO

:D :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

When attacked you may have only seconds to react if your lucky, any hesiatation may be your last.

You would be lucky if you got a few seconds to react.

I have been put into situations where you don't have time to think and you just have to do. That is where your training comes in. If you have trained using the gauntlet or other drills where the predicabilty factor is not present then that will help you handle a real situation. I also believe that when you get put into a situation, that you will rely on a few techniques that you have proficiency in because it fits the situation and you have ingrained them into your being. The mastery that is referred to is having the ability to know how to respond without having to think about it. The better you get at something the less you have to think about it until it becomes second nature. When you get to the second nature part then you have reached that subconcious mastery level.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

i agree i think if u stop and say to your self what do i do now youve lost. but have you every concentrated so much on not thinking about it you mess up. i think it must take great mental strenght.

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan

Nice reply Red J, I should have said milli-seconds instead. Our Hanshi often talks to us about how your reaction is based on a fraction of a second and NOT seconds. The pause of a second to think about what you are going to do may be to late. Our Hanshi has a Japanese saying for that Hon Noi (Sp?), reacting without thinking. I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I would think that you would more have to think about the general type of move, which training has made automatic through practice, and then do it. It is instinctive in that you don't have to lumber mentally through the entire process. This is already programmed into, as combos can be as well.

This way when I mean to block, I block, and when I want to kick, I kick. No extra steps are taken, as it is all done immediately and the most efficient way; as practiced. However, i can still change my plan, and my combinations at will. At least thats what my experience has been, although I am not a street fighter.

I guess it also comes down to the style of the fighter. Some people do well with instinctive fighting, and doing whatever comes naturally. Some can plan out what will be effective and immediately do it. Most others are somewhere in between I would surmise.