• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice on grappling system please

Hi, I dont post on this forum cos i dont do any grappling but im hoping to start soon.

I need some advice though.

I have been doing Muay Thai for about 5 years coming on to six and im quite good at it.

I more than happy with as a self defence for stand up fighting but as you know it has no graplling.

I live in London but there are only a couple of BJJ schools here and they take ages to get too and are over crowded as there are only two.

Question: If im going to do a grappling system but not BJJ which one is most effective for self defence.

I need grappling only reaally and no wierd systems that hardly even exist.

I need something i can find and do and with which i will be able to hold my own if i get taken down.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are there any traditional JJ schools there?

Something else I had some exposure to in a grappling seminar was Sambo - the second day of the two day seminar was dedicated to Sambo leg and ankle locks, taught by a Sambo instructor (originally) from Russia. The moves we were shown were quite effective. I assume that is also why a bunch of MMA students came in for that day of the seminar.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

DOesnt JJ include all the stand up stuff as well.

I dont really want to mix that with my Muay Thai because i think that wont work for me.

The ground stuff would be good though Sambo is an interesting idea i will check that out and try and find out some more.

Thanks for the input as usual Karate_Woman

Yes, JJ usually includes strikes (I assume that is the stand up stuff you're referring to), but remember that there is a lot of grappling you can do from a standing position as well.

Have fun in your search.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Instead of listing the many good things about each stlye i will say the main draw back imo

-BJJ-Great sumbmissions, and all round ground game...not Huge on takedowns but still better than most

-Judo Lots of Throws and it does have ground work but not to the extent of BJJ and also many techniques rely on the Gi

wreslting-Best in the world at takedowns/slams whitch can be devistating but very limited submissions and wrestlers dont like to be on their back

Sambo-similar to BJJ but i have heard they dont have as much "live practice"

Judo stand up does rely on the gi.

Sambo has a lot of live practice. It's just like wrestling.

What I did when I couldn't make it to grappling is find wrestlers to roll with. Set up mats at the local Y and post flyers. I ended up with 25 people who did some type of grappling in the past and we would roll freestyle submissions. We did it for two months and I learn alot without paying alot.

I laugh when I hear people say that judo relies on the gi. Most moves do, like bjj, but without the gi, a real judo school is lot like Greco Roman

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

I take judo and I can throw people just as well without the gi. I did weight training on my forearms so I can grip really hard. I can hold onto their arm practically anytime I need to. Unless their greased like a pig =)

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought