• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ring the closest thing to the street?

I did talk to a bounty hunter, who use m/a and tough man contest to keep his head on straight......he said the Dojo and ring was great for the street work....Good Luck

Practice is the best of all instructors...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to burst your collective bubbles, but Police Officers who wish to "test their skills" as you put it are likely to end up behind bars.

Let's not forget that to become a police officer one has to pass a psychological examination (even in Baltimore!) that is designed to weed out those looking for "fun."

I think you misunderstood my point. I didn't mean that one should become a cop so he could legally enjoy street fights. Not at all.

My point was this (I try to be clearer here):

There's all this arguing all over about wheter martial art X is good for self defence. Some people say "have you seen it work the ring" and argue "ring is the closest thing to the street, so if X works there then it may work on the streets", so "is any NHB fighter using art X?".

My point is "why don't you, instead of going to the ring, go and see if people who work with criminals on the streets have used X succesfully. If some cops, bouncers, guards, whatever, have been using X to succesfully defend against the worst criminals in the worst neighborhoods and after all that they say that X worked for them, then some of us feel that it has been "street tested" even if we never saw it in the ring. "

And my point is that the latter is a more realistic way to "test" the art, than the ring.

Police techniques are designed to do the least amount of damage. The smelliest, lowliest street thug usually has a wonderful lawyer!

Yes, very true. Here, where I live, the same applies to the common citizen too. If you are attacked here, you can't use too much force or you'll spend a long while in jail. And they are very strict about these things around here, these darn judges just haven't got a clue what's realistic. We have had some "high profile" cases like this:

A rapist raped a woman. A man came to intervene. Along the fight, the man punched the rapist a couple of times. What happened in the court? The rapist didn't go to jail. There were several "migitating circumstances", for example: the rape took only a short time, and the rapist had a job (can you believe that? He had a job, so there was no use putting him to jail!). These were just two of the reasons why he only paid some fine. The man who came to help the woman went to jail: he used too much force! The rapist didn't punch or strike him, so he went overboard, according to the court. So the system here sucks on these matters. But still: if you want to defend yourself without going to jail, you have to know some martial arts that allow you to defend while doing minimal damage to the attacker. :(

since there nonetheless are some cops that beat up a black man more likely than a white, this sympathee thing is somewhat difficult. probably its the police that is not very much liked and not the arrestee that are held in high esteem.

as for the street fight situation: in germany there are very few cops that make their round alone. in pedestrian precinct or something, there are always two of them. as for "special occasions" like the "oktoberfest" in bavaria, there often are teams of 5 to 6 policemen to be able to handle any situation either it's crime or drunk or whatever.

so, since when were there black belts who train every day for tournaments walking the streets looking for a fight?

the average joe on the street isn't going to fight like how a ufc fighter is going to.

a ufc fighter has to learn and train in what works in the ring. as nearly everyone who participates trains more or less the same thing, they also have to train in the things that specifically work against these primay techniques.

in a way, this is actually sort of limits the things he does. while this does not mean he is not a capable fighter but it does mean he may not be prepared for ALL eventualities.

what i mean is that the ring is in no way close to what i fight on the streets is going to be like.

the best you can do is to constantly train and spar with as many people as possible.

after all, the more you do something, the more prepared you are.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."