• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am just wondering how well judo works for self defense, if I could get your opinions then that would be great thanks

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would help you in some aspects, in others it wouldn't. I know it's very different at every school, but most judo schools doesn't learn punches and kicks. This means that it would be hard for you to block punches and kicks for self defence. However, judo has its share of releases of chokes and grappling, which could prove VERY useful.

If any judoka knows better, please correct me :)

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I would say it could be useful in most situations..a throw can end a fight pretty quickly on the strett...although it would be better if you cross trained in a striking art to some extent.

Depends on the the attack a lot. If your grabbed then you will do better than if you were forced to fight at a distance.

However like I have said many times when its on the street its you and not the style you do that is going to win or loose.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 3 weeks later...
you gotta remember though, that the judoka WANTS to close the distance. He's not gonna be fighting at a distance for long. I agree there should be cross training in striking, but as long as he knows how to cover up, closing distance isn't a great problem, unless the guy you are fighting is very good at maintaining distance (guys like chuck liddel)

Yeah, the Kodokan book says the use strikes, but most Judo schools don’t teach them. Judo mainly works with Throws and ground work. If a lot of your fights are close, and/or on the ground, they yeah, judo is good. But you might want to get into Boxing are Kick Boxing, just to get a good base for striking.

• 3 weeks later...

In Judo there is a form called ATEMI, Which is the striking form in judo.

Atemi is dangerous so thats why some schools don't teach it but some schools teach it when u atleast become a black belt.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• 4 weeks later...
Something's better than nothing. The average joe never studies any form of combative training. In that sense Judo would be an advantage over someone who didn't know anything other than instict. However, different opponents have different ways of attacking, and Judo would help address some of those situations and lack in others. But then again, that could be said for most arts out there.