weapon training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost any object can be used as a weapon. No you don't carry a Katana around, but what about a pocket knife. What about your keys, your belt. I think studying weapons give you a better understanding of unarmed techniques. Your hands and arms and legs are weapons, you carrying those around don't you? Also certrain styles of fighting teach certain movements for fighting and certain movement for weapons. This is a big mistake. You should always move the same way. The only thing that changes is distance and timing. If you are taught to block puches and kicks and not move, someone with a weapon will get you easier. Most of the time you don't know the weapon is there. So it's better to do weapons training than not to. :D

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 weeks later...
I do western fencing, mostly for fun but it also helps improve my sense of distance and timing.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Almost any object can be used as a weapon. No you don't carry a Katana around, but what about a pocket knife. What about your keys, your belt. I think studying weapons give you a better understanding of unarmed techniques. Your hands and arms and legs are weapons, you carrying those around don't you? Also certrain styles of fighting teach certain movements for fighting and certain movement for weapons. This is a big mistake. You should always move the same way. The only thing that changes is distance and timing. If you are taught to block puches and kicks and not move, someone with a weapon will get you easier. Most of the time you don't know the weapon is there. So it's better to do weapons training than not to. :D

Well, depending on the type of weapon, it can be used quite differently. You can use a knife the same as you use a fist, but there are more effective ways of using a knife. You COULD pistolwhip a person, but the gun works better when fired. Chairs can be used a club but that's not the most effective way to use them. Some weapons, however, like keys, are used the same as you would use your fists.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

I agree Warp Spider that's way you must learn to counter accordingly. Your not understanding what I said if your using a weapon the other person might not know it's there. If it's a knife or a gun and you intend on killing them, don't show it to them first. So what's wrong with using the knife the same way you use your fists, depending on your fighting art that may work quite well. I know how to use weapons that is what I am studying, your foot work and body movements are essentially the same with or without a weapon. The things that change is mostly distance and timing. But your right I usually don't punch to the carotid artery or the femoral artery, etc.

Boshiken strike would be the same with a knife and or key, pen, etc. :)

Hey Jerrylove I saw those clips on Clearsilat.com it looks pretty cool. It has some similarities to the stuff I'm learning. Have you ever tried San Soo or Budo Taijutsu techniques, I think you'd enjoy them.