• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just need a rant

Gloi

I've always had problems with posture. I've been picked up on it before and though I try to sort it out I'm sure I'll be picked up on it again, if I try and go too fast I tend to tip forward and when I'm training with the black belts I end up going faster than I can cope with in good form. At least at the grading I'll not be with them so I won't be rushing to keep up.

I'm sure that if it wasn't this then I'd be being berated for something else instead and at least it wasn't 'shoulders' and 'tension' this time.

I don't think that I've got 'great potential' but I do train the best I can and think I should be okay all being well. At least we grade with the person who we normally train with so he knows how we normally perform, not like when it's someone who never sees us from one grading to the next.

I'll just have to try not to get too stressed about it all. Anyway I'll let you know how it goes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry too much about him nit picking you like that. Instead look at it as a good oppurtunity to improve. The higher in rank you get the more you'll get "picked on" b/c your Sensei expects more of you. 2nd Kyu I'm assuming is brown belt? If that's so Your not far from being a Black belt yourself. I would work on the posture thing some at home even if just ten min. each day. That will help. Focus on working in good form and eventually you will be able to work faster and keep up w/ the other guys. Always remember though, It's better to have good technique and be slow; Then to be quick and have bad technique. Good luck:-)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

You've been given some good advice here! The posture that is okay for a green belt is noway okay for a brown belt and so on. The higher ranked you get, the more nitpicky your technique detail must be.

It sounds to me like your Sensei is pushing you hard before grading.

In our dojo when it gets close to testing time our classes turn into boot camp. We are pushed harder to prepare us for the test. If you can handle the pushing when the day of the test comes it will be easier.

I find that my instructors generally have a better idea of what Im capable of than I do. I just keep rasing the bar on my personal goals as I keep attaining them. You are a 2nd KYU you are an advanced student you would not have your rank if you are not capable. Dont get to stresses

you will do fine. Good Luck. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I find that the students I correct (they would probably edit "correct" to "pick on mercilessly") are the ones I feel have potential. the ones whom it is obvious do not care, I tend to ignore, hoping they will go away, get hit by a bus, fade into invisibility, etc...

:)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Good luck on your test. I have to agree with those who think that sensei's tend to criticize those with the most promise the harshest.

And I may be strange but I think it is better to have things picked apart right before test than to be given false confidence.

You're not strange Sai! I feel the same way. In fact I get a little nervous when I don't get picked apart about something...anything...please!!!! :lol:

You'll do fine Gloi!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Well I passed :D . There were 6 of us taking the grade myself and 5 juniors (11-16yo). I got the full grade along with 2 of the juniors and the other were given a half grade.

Sensai didn't comment on any of my basics or kata, he must have said all he had to say on monday. I did semi free sparring with the oldest of the juniors - a tall 16yo lad, then as I am over 18 I had to do free sparring which the juniors don't do till shodan. I had to fight a very formidable 2nd dan woman (there were no brown belt adults there) and she quite naturally wiped the floor with me. Sensei said that I needed to improve my sparring skills before taking my next grade. However when we were all out in the pub afterwards he said I'd not done too bad, just needed to work on tactics.

Cheers to everyone for the support. I can stop worrying now till next time. :)