• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Mixed Martial Art

Me.

Best Grappling Martial Art

Me.

Best Standing Art

Me.

Of course, none of these arts mean nothing if I don't train myself well. Or, if my training isn't quality, efficient, effective, or I don't put my heart into it.

I could learn pankration and still get my rearend handed to me by a TKDist if I don't take my training seriously, or if my particular flavor of training is flawed.

Style alone does not the best make.

There is something of the individual that contributes to that. And a bit of fate.

So, don't take my answers as they are written. I wasn't referring to myself as the best, but as to the generality of the statement. I can take the arts of grappling, standing, or mixed and make them as good as I am or as poor as I am. They alone will not make me anything I am not already.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I need to add something else.

I don't believe that all arts are equal. I believe some arts are better at doing things than other. i was merely trying to make a point with my first post, not come across as a smart A.

I will concede that some arts can be more effective than others at accomplishing certain tasks.

I won't list any because I don't particularly agree with styles, systems, etc. I leave it up to the individual to find what works best for them, what seems to be the most effective, and learn from experience what they can use to defend themselves most effectively. I don't believe in promoting any one style or system. So, that's the basis behind my first post. This post is the reasoning. I don't want to seem like I'm not taking the thread seriously.

If styles are your thing, then there are a plethora of ones to choose from. There will be some that work for you and some that don't.

That being said, I think some good suggestions will be stated in this thread for those seeking to do research.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I could learn pankration and still get my rearend handed to me by a TKDist if I don't take my training seriously

Good point about training. I firmly believe that many arts have good techniques but the problem is in the training methods. What is so different between say Kyokushin Karate and Shotokan Karate (a lot of KK os based on SK)? The difference is in the training methods and attitude.

Matt Thornton (you can get his videos at http://www.straightblastgym.com/ ) preaches the need for "alive" training. You can make a lot of arts work if your training is "alive" as he calls it.

Best Mixed Martial Art

Me.

Best Grappling Martial Art

Me.

Best Standing Art

Me.

Of course, none of these arts mean nothing if I don't train myself well. Or, if my training isn't quality, efficient, effective, or I don't put my heart into it.

I could learn pankration and still get my rearend handed to me by a TKDist if I don't take my training seriously, or if my particular flavor of training is flawed.

Style alone does not the best make.

There is something of the individual that contributes to that. And a bit of fate.

So, don't take my answers as they are written. I wasn't referring to myself as the best, but as to the generality of the statement. I can take the arts of grappling, standing, or mixed and make them as good as I am or as poor as I am. They alone will not make me anything I am not already.

I agree that any person who doesn't take their art seriously and train hard can get their @ss kicked,regardless of art.

However if both the TKD person and the Pankrationist take their art seriously and equally train hard,the TKD person will lose.

Obviously if the Pankrationist doesn't train often he will get his ass kicked by anyone,but if he does train hard,it is very unlikely he will get his butt kicked by any traditonalist or individual art.

I am not saying Pankration is the only good art I just keep mentioning that one because it is what I study,but what I do believe is all MMA styles are unbeatable from traditionalists whether Pankration or not.

Pankration sounds good but i would like to point out that the chances of it being based on Muay Thai are zero although in recent history Muay Thai may have been added.

Greek and Thai culture have never crossed paths.

Brazilian JJ has only come about in the last century.

So im not quite sure how Pankration could be a mix of the two.

I thought that was shootfighting.

ummm I feel hungry, I feel a McDojo coming on.

Pankration sounds good but i would like to point out that the chances of it being based on Muay Thai are zero although in recent history Muay Thai may have been added.

What people call Pankration today doesn't have a direct historical lineage to the ancient Pankration. Pankration is just used as a general term of fighting in the same spirit as the Greeks did, but usually the people training in Pankration today are just MMA fighters with certain rule set. Or am I wrong, is there someone actually teaching an art that has a direct link of teachers reaching to the old fighters of ancient Greece? The pancrece people I've met have all been just MT+BJJ+SW+SF+etc mixers.

Here's a quote from the 2Shoot website:

It had its genisis less than 25 years ago when a famous German wrestler taught the art of real wrestling or "shooting", to a group of top Japanese martial artist. The wrestling they learned bore only a superficial resemblance to today's professional wrestling. Two of these Japanese martial artist, Masami Soranaka, practitioner of karate,judo and sumo, and Yoshiaki Fujiwara, a muay thai kickboxing champion and judo expert, combined their knowledge of these diverse styles and created what has come to be known as UWF wrestling or the strong style. Official matches have been held for almost 10 years and the sport's popularity has grown till it is now the third most popular spectator sport in Japan behind baseball and sumo. There are currently three main organizations sanctioning matches and teaching the style. Of these the oldest and largest is the Fujiwara Gumi (family) run by founder and former champion Yoshiaki Fujiwara. The current world champion of the Fujiwara Gumi is Miami's Bart Vale, The first foreigner (American) to reach the highest levels of the sport. Vale who coined the term Shootfighting® to describe the style, combined the wrestling and muay thai techniques he learned in Japan with his experience in American karate and kickboxing to advance the sport further.

Greek and Thai culture have never crossed paths.

Brazilian JJ has only come about in the last century.

So im not quite sure how Pankration could be a mix of the two.

ummm I feel hungry, I feel a McDojo coming on.

I never said BJJ was part of Pankration,although today's Pankration could probably include that because submission wrestling and bjj and other styles of jujistu are all similar.

To say thai and greek culture have never crossed is plain ignorance on your side no offense.

Look up the history of Pankration and see for yourself that Pankration is an art of muay thai and submission wrestling and that the greeks came up with the idea of the two mixing.

However the romans stole the style away from the greeks and made it into an extreme art of violence.

Shootfighting and Pankration although from completely different times are very similar in their own way.

My dojo is far from being a Mcdojo,infact my instructor knocked a guy out cold in UFC with knee kick to jaw,I got to see the fight on pay per view,it was awesome.

So the next time you say something know what you're talking about first.