• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Two Styles, Too Confusing???

Kyokushin

Why don't you continue Kyokushin somwhere else? Rent some space if have to? Or train outdoors? Keep up a training group, join the nearest dojo even if it's far away (attend class when you can - once a week or once a month, whatever) and attend camps at other locations. Continue progress and when you get graded enough, you can open your own dojo and keep it up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nearest dojo is hours away, and tournaments and clinics are almost always in Rochester, NY that's a big Kyokushin area. I can't afford to go to a camp or seminar that far away right now. I am planning on getting together w/ all the old students a few times a month to work on kata, Kihon, etc.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Kyokushin, you mentioned Rochester, NY. I live about 40 minutes south of there (Canandaigua, NY). Do you live in NY? If so I can help find a place for you. And yes, this is Kyokushin, TKD, and Isshin Ryu capital of the world LOL.

Laurie F

Go with Chito Ryu. It is an excellent,and not very frequently practiced (in the US) style! It often seems like an Okinawanized Shotokan, which makes sense considering Funakoshi was very close to Chitose. It should be a pleasant change from the "brute force" mentality of Kyokushin.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Kyokushin, you mentioned Rochester, NY. I live about 40 minutes south of there (Canandaigua, NY). Do you live in NY? If so I can help find a place for you. And yes, this is Kyokushin, TKD, and Isshin Ryu capital of the world LOL.

I wish! I think I'd be in karate heaven if I lived in NY, but I don't :bawling:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

You say you are going to get together with some of the students. What about your instructor. You must have someone who was teaching you. What is going to happen to this person?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

I wish! I think I'd be in karate heaven if I lived in NY, but I don't :bawling:

If there's a will, there's a way. And you are already a 2nd kyu! You could easily take the group under your command and get yourself a black belt soon.

Edited by Kirves

I would if I was older. I'm only sixteen right know so you can see the problems that could start. As soon as I turn eighteen I plan on starting a regular club. As far as my instructor, he's navy and had to move a few years ago. He comes back to train us when he can. That's usually every six months. I see your point though Kirves. I haven't given up or anything. I'm still training as much as possible :)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Okay, if you're so young you can get two problems:

1. authority problems (try to lead a club when you are one of the youngest)

2. money problems (try to go see the instructor in the neighboring state if your wallet is empty)

But don't give up on your style when you are so advanced already. Whatever you do, keep practicing it along. Then, whenever you have the chance, make your self and friends a favor and bring the style to your town.

Edited by Kirves

I have a lot to say about this but I will try control myself and keep it short-as if!!!

First of all, go where your heart leads you. You will be much happier in the end. If you are a Martial Artist you will not be able to stay away from it no matter how hard you try and you will cry everytime you see a school, commercial, tv event, magazine ad, etc. :bawling:

Secondly, be true to your roots but don't give up opportunities to learn new things or build on the old by being stubborn or afraid to go outside your comfort zone. I have studied several arts of different origin and I have never forgot what each has taught me. In fact I bring it all with me and it makes my style my own. :wink:

If you do change styles don't sweat the katas. You know the basics-learning the patterns will not be hard. Over a lifetime you will learn dozens of them and you will be able to keep them straight so what is the difference if they are form one style or the other? The same with the techniques. I know at least 4 different ways to do each basic technique! The trick is doing the right one at the right time, i.e., "Today I am a doing TKD not Shotokan dummy!" Eventually it will not be hard to do and just think of all the different possibilities of combinations you can come up with!!! :brow:

Lastly(I'll spare you anymore ranting for now), if your style is not available anymore, go with what you have (refer to my first comment) until you have the ability to bring it back. You will never lose what you already have and you may even find another style that you can be just as passionate about. :nod:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/