• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Two Styles, Too Confusing???

Kyokushin

I just started a new style, Chito-Ryu. I am also still working on Kyokushin karate. It seemed like good extra training until we started working on kata. Now I'm worried that I'll start mixing the other style in w/ my Kyokushin or visa versa at belt tests. What's a good way to keep these katas from mixing themselves together???? What are thoughts on doing more than one style at once? Is it worth it??? HELP!!!

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train both seriously and it's no problem. When you are asked to kick a roundhouse kick with the ball of the foot, do you accidentally kick with the shin because you have trained both ways? No you won't. Same thing with any other technique. You can learn any technique in several ways, details or series, and not mix them up if you concentrate. Problems arise, if you try to mix two arts that are based on contradicting strategies and tactics, but just training two different karate styles - no big deal. Remember, in the old times, one kata contained the methods of one style. If you can learn several kata without going nuts about them, you can also learn several versions of the kata.

2 styles that both focus on kata yes to hard for any new commer.

If your learning to fight and doing MT and BJJ maybe nnot.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

2 styles that both focus on kata yes to hard for any new commer.

2nd kyu in Kyokushin is hardly a newcomer. True, it's no expert either, but it's already 8 kyus ahead from white belt so I wouldn't consider him a newcomer.

Pick one, it will make your life easier.

Crosstraining only works if the two styles don't overlap much.

A striking art and a grappling art for example.

Or if the arts are similar, they do not have a "proper technique", it is simply whatever works...

But to try and do two seperate "styles" that do the same things differently will likely slow your progress in both, not speed it up.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I just started a new style, Chito-Ryu. I am also still working on Kyokushin karate. It seemed like good extra training until we started working on kata. Now I'm worried that I'll start mixing the other style in w/ my Kyokushin or visa versa at belt tests. What's a good way to keep these katas from mixing themselves together???? What are thoughts on doing more than one style at once? Is it worth it??? HELP!!!

Quit one style and when proffeshint with it the try the other one.Any style that involves katas can be confusing if trying two different styles.Why would you want to learn more then one at a time anyways?

If you were doing MMA then that would be understandable,but two individual arts from two different schools would be very confusing.

Besides why try two traditional arts? Why not keep at one of your traditional arts if that's want you want to do for now,then try MMA,see which one you like best? Then chose which one you want to stick with.

If you're in martial arts specifically for self-defense though,then don't even bother with the traditional arts,just go straight to MMA.If it doesn't matter to you try both then,but not at same time.

The best thing to do since you're already at 2nd kyu is just get to your black belt level,might as well, then change styles.

My personal opinion.

Edited by MuayThai Fighter

Pick one, it will make your life easier.

Crosstraining only works if the two styles don't overlap much.

A striking art and a grappling art for example.

Or if the arts are similar, they do not have a "proper technique", it is simply whatever works...

But to try and do two seperate "styles" that do the same things differently will likely slow your progress in both, not speed it up.

I agree.

I am doing a new art b/c my old dojo is getting ready to be shut down. We trained at a church and the church decided they don't want our class anymore. I've been training for five years and teaching for one of the five. So although I'm not a black belt I'm not new to karate either. The reason I don't want to drop Kyokushin is b/c when you've been training so long in one style it's hard to give it up. I love Kyokushin very much and I want to get my black belt so that I can teach it to others one day. But since my dojo shut down I'm forced to go elsewhere Chito Ryu is the closest to my original style b/c it's Japanese.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---