• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fraudulent Teachers - Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu has been hi-jacked!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited the sites in question earlier.

Normally i don't judge, but i do tend to speculate. The name of this ju-jutsu system is "ishin ryu ju-jitsu," created in 1990. Spelled differently than the karate form created a century ago. I don't doubt whether Kevin Pell is capable of teaching, or of being able to create his own 'variation' on a theme... but...

Ishin ryu ju-jitsu is not a variant of isshin ryu karate. It seems to be well established but my feelings are that he capitalized on the 'pre-existing' reputation of a 'pre-established' martial art form. It's not a bad business move, and not necessarily wrong... but it does tend to go against my personal philosophies. I'm also not keen with him giving himself an 8th degree black belt in it.

So... what do you guys think? Should i open up a Gracie judo school and give myself an 8th degree black belt in it? :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 2 weeks later...

Funny though the use of Japanese words...unless its a family style or an association, can you really stop anybody from using it?

A tradmarked name yes..but if its missing an 'N' and represents an idea in Japanese...no touchy!

red and white belts...anyone can do it - hell I may start Scott's house of slam style and give myself the title and rank of headmaster.

Legal, acceptable? sure it is.....judge by the quality though...

You are angry over a guy leaving the school - I'll bet he was one of the top guys too eh. Probably needed to spread his wings and expand.

Things like that happen everywhere. I think some legal measures should be taken. If I pretend to be a brain surgeon and open a hospital, somebody would come and ask me some questions.

Being an instructor is not like being a surgeon, but it takes a lot of time and sweat in a "legal" way.

I've heard about these events and unfortunatelly it's hard to get rid of such frauds.

I looked over the "about" page for this style and although they share a very similar name to that of the okinawan style "ISSHINRYU", there is no mention of that style with the other mixed arts.

If hijacking a web is wrong, what about a style's name? I feel it's too close to the original style name and hence causes confusion for potential students. This may just be my opinion, but it does not sit well with me.

"No Excuses"

ishin ryu?

i'm aware of another ishin ryu, one founded by suzuki yoshisada.

i beliv he is very much a japanese.

tell me the lineage/ roots of this style.

why did we surrender lord?

Turonaga... only thing i found on the gentleman you bring up, is a book he wrote about tantos (supposedly a very good, and very rare, book). I don't suppose you have more information you can provide on suzuki yoshisada and his art? I'm intrigued. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Turonaga... only thing i found on the gentleman you bring up, is a book he wrote about tantos supposedly a very good, and very rare, book). I don't suppose you have more information you can provide on suzuki yoshisada and his art? I'm intrigued. :)

he has written a book? you have read it? wow i too am interested. :) :) :) i don't practice his art but i'll ask my sensei again.

why did we surrender lord?