• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stand up or sit down?

I was just wondering what you guys prefer in the grappling/locking arts. I always preferred the standup stuff in BJJ because i saw more of a use for it, but i got taken by surprise by one of my mates one time and before i knew it he had taken me down and we were goin at it on the ground... Every time i tried to stand up he'd have me back down and he eventually made me submit (although i gave him a good wrestle and there were no punches thrown).

Honestly i really think that if i'm on the ground that i'd be using what ground techniques i know and i'd be throwing punches and stuff.

Just lookin for opinions.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

my opinon i would ratter be standing cause i would do better tricks and moves then sitting down!!

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

Ahh yes, everyone would rather remain standing, but it's very hard to keep a good grappler from taking u down. Plus they (well at least i did) learn to counter things such as kicks and punches with locks and throws.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 3 weeks later...
well now it doesn`t really matter i can attack both down and stand up but i am better to be attacking then standing up and countering on them when i am sitting!! :nod:

I think It would be a good idea to be skillful in both. I generally use the sit-down grappling position for training and learning techniques, or if it's just a friendly roll and there's no use for working yourself out too hard.

However, for more training purposes and learning sessions, as well as serious and competitions, even with your fellow students, standing is the only way to go, and really is the only closest thing that one will get until a real-life situation comes along.

-Sean Killeen

Webmaster, Web Designer/Developer, Content Engineer

InterFall Design -- http://www.InterFall.com

"Where the Internet Flows"

ya skillfull is the key you must be then you do really well in one!!! :nod: