• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TANG SOO DO basic form one HELP my 5 yr old

Question- why was the TKD guy bouncing in the middle of every stance change on Tan Gun? I've never seen anyone do that. I can only think he's trying to emphasize something there. But since he's not transitioning through a Cat, or any other recognizable stance, I can't think what. Doesn't TKD teach you to keep your head level as you move, and transition from one solid base to another? Just curious, but that bounce seems to violate some of the basics of TKD as I've seen it.

Sorry Delta. I miss-understood your question. Yes, that is definitely the shine wave thing. I'm not too exerienced to know too much about it, though. I did look it up. It has to do with generating power. And you are supposed to land (foot) and strike at the same exact time. Hopefully an ITF'er can explain it better for you.

The way I learn is to keep my head level, like you said. We are taught to also land and strike at the same time, but we use hip power. There are several versions of TKD, and they all do something different. It gets kinda confusing when trying to explain stuff, too LOL.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks. That's sort of what I thought. We also teach to keep the head level, smothly transition to the next stance, with acompanying hip rotation,and the strike lands at the same time as the stance solidifies. The analogy most often used is that this way you hit him with the whole truck, not just the bumper. That's how I understood the TKD sine wave to work.

Still be good to hear from others on this (hint, hint :bigwink: ).

Freedom isn't free!

KK75, that's an interesting site. The Hapkido forms looked a lot like what I do (American Kenpo). But the TKD I've seen looks a lot more like the TSD (I only looked at the first two forms). Question- why was the TKD guy bouncing in the middle of every stance change on Tan Gun? I've never seen anyone do that. I can only think he's trying to emphasize something there. But since he's not transitioning through a Cat, or any other recognizable stance, I can't think what. Doesn't TKD teach you to keep your head level as you move, and transition from one solid base to another? Just curious, but that bounce seems to violate some of the basics of TKD as I've seen it.

I looked at some of those video clips. I see what you are talking about but he isn't really bouncing if you look closer. The hips are level but the rotation looks a bit exagerated. If you notice his head stays level too. You can notice that the movement to change direction he is looking is a bit exagerated.

Sometimes movements are exaggerated on video to make them more noticeable for illustrative purposes.

It was also interesting that I recognized much of what was done as very similar to what I have learned in shotokan and shorin ryu.

Sometimes movements are exaggerated on video to make them more noticeable for illustrative purposes.

Thaanks. I'll go back and look at it again with this in mind when I have more time. I want to look at some of their other forms as well, just out of curiosity.

It was also interesting that I recognized much of what was done as very similar to what I have learned in shotokan and shorin ryu.

If we all keep finding similarities here, we're liable to nullify the whole Style vs. Style part of this forum, at least as it's primarily used. Wouldn't that be just awful?! 8)

Freedom isn't free!

I looked at one form out of curiosity and then kept looking at them because I was seeing so much I recognized.

Funny I find the more I learn the more similarities I see between the arts.