• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi every1!

I am quite interested in researching the above sport as there are a few clubs in my area which I wouldn't mind trying out. However I don't know much about the sport, I've been training in Karate for 13 years (i'm after a change) and dont know just how different it is or what I should look out for.

If anyone can help me out on what its like or has any clubs they can recommend to me i'd be greatly appreciated. :karate:

Thanks guys!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any club worth going to will let you have your first couple of lessons for free with no obligation to join.

Just give it a go. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. You'll find TKD more relaxed then traditional karate with a huge emphasis on kicking.

It's worth mentioning there a 2 styles of Taekwondo (both originate from the same thing)-

ITF - slightly closer to karate, light and sporty with emphasis on semi contact/points fighting. (some say more traditional)

WTF - Full contact olympic sport huge emphasis on knock out head kicks.

I'd recommmend ITF coz i'm biased :wink:

Bretty

(Leeds, uk)

There is always freestyle TKD too .. Its more akin to kiickboxing and has complete emphisis on Fitness and Fighting. (Semi Point Stop, or full contact.)

BTW Bretty do you train with GrandMaster Liversidge? ITF ?

Stoppy

John Stopforth

3rd Dan Instructor

Taekwondo

UK

Pros: Increased flexibility, somewhat more aerobic.

Cons: Less attention to detail, paediatric yudansha.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

"(i'm after a change) and dont know just how different it is or what I should look out for. "

I trained in TKD for 6 years, then when I was looking for a change I went for a soft style - kung fu. I kept reading about/hearing people talk about soft style/hard style and wanted a better understanding. Just a thought. I know you're looking at TKD, but it depends on how much different you want.

By the way, I felt like an idiot for the first couple of months and loved every minute of it. Have fun!

so what exactly is "paediatric yudansha", one of the minusses of TKD???
\

Hmmm...product of the public school system, are you? :)

Paediatric yudansha=toddlers with black belts!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!