• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dog Breeds

Neil

Anyone here own a dog? I want to buy I dog in the next couple of years when I move out, I know its a long time, but I like to look into different dog breeds since its interesting.

I kind of want a big dog although I also like pit bull terriers a lot. Some of the big dogs I like are Akita, rottweilers, boxers, malumate, doberman, mastiffs (possibly), I just can't decide which one I want, and I yes I know its sad that its over 2 years away but I just love looking into different dog breeds.

I geus I want a dog really as a companion which I can play with for long hours and take for lots and lots of exercise. I want it to be very courageous and ferocious and not at all lazy (thats why I don't really like Mastiffs). I guess I want it to have the ptoential to be an excellent guard dog so it has all the qualities of courage and toughness although I don't need a protection or guard dog and will not use it as one unless it self wants to be one.

Any comments will be helpful. Even if its just posting your favourate breeed and why.

thanks,

Neil

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 2 dogs, one was a Redbone Coonhound named Granpa, and the other was a Samoyed named Kelsey. Both were great pets, but unfortunately they both passed due to age.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My mum's always loved dogs and has always had a pedigree dog of some kind or other.

When our last dog died, though, we ended up just going to the animal shelter and buying a mongrel pup and she is an amazing wee animal.

Mongrels can be a good choice as they tend to live a longer, healthier life than a pedigree would, and often can have the positive attributes of more than one dog breed. Of course, the adverse can be true and they could have the negative qualities of the dog breeds in them. Of course, mongrels also tend to be a lot cheaper.

I definately think a mongrel would be a good choice for your first dog.

As for pedigree dog breeds, I prefer collies and labradors. Collies are generally extrememly intelligent animals and labs are usually vey fun-loving and playful.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I have a dog that is a mut (mix breed). He looks like a Dingo (sp?).

I have grown up with all kinds of dogs. I think the "muts" are better. They are usually sweet, love to play, and are loyal. I grew up with a lab mix that was so sweet and loyal. The dog I have now is a sheppard mix (the dingo looking one) and he is all the above.

My advice would be is go to a kennel or recue place to find a friend. That's where my family found most of our dogs, and they turned out to be the sweetest animals :)

Laurie F

My family has a black lab and she is so friendly. She loves to run and play all the time and looks like a horse when she's either running or bounding. She's pretty fast and catches birds and squirrels all the time before they can fly or run away. While she is very protective and suspicious of things out of the ordninary, she is more bark than bite. I must say she gets scared easy by things like thunder. She'll curl into a ball in the corner of the garage and just shake...its kinda funny but I feel sorry for her. She is real smart though. They got this dog when I was at college, so I can't say too much more.

The dog I had growing up was a mix of lab, retriever, and bloodhound. He loved running and just playing and was pretty smart. Just a "good ol' dog" I guess.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

German Shepards are also great as big dogs go. Brave, playful, and always devoted to the family they're with. I've had labs mostly, but they'll run up and lick the guy as he's robbing your house. :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.