• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Style

Kyokushin

What do you suppose is the best way to switch your sparring style? I am a smaller person and I want to work on being more on the balls of my feet so that I can attack quicker. Plus I am at a new dojo where they strike to the head. I'm not used to this and my upper block is pretty slow. I thought maybe if I started sparring right foot forward instead of left I'd be quicker b/c I'm right handed; I just like having my left foot forward, but every time I try to switch it feels so awkward that it's hard to fight. Are there some drills I could do at home to make that more comfortable? Thanks for any advice:)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
your right should be equal to your left [easier said then done i know] ... obiously there will be a dominant side, but both should be pretty close to eachother. if you can deliver a powerful punch with your left hand but only a weak one with your right then there is a problem... what if your left arm gets broken in a fight? are you just going to give up?

Shadow box, keep on your toes, keep moving, work your hands which should be up high.

If left side forward feels more natural stick to it, that is the "standard" stance for a right handed person in boxing/kickboxing.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

The right/left stance is about the tactics you use. Many arts prefer the dominant side to be forward (Bruce Lee's JKD being a good example) but that is because they use slightly different tactic. They use the rear/weak hand for deflecting and checking the oncoming attack, while they use the lead hand as a quick counter-attack weapon. The arts that keep the strong side back, use the lead hand as the defencive (usually blocking) hand and use the rear hand as a powerful counter-attack weapon:

Main tactic for leading with the weaker side:

- block and create opening with the lead hand

- counter-attack with a powerful strike from the rear hand

- continue attacking so you remain in control of the situation

Main tactic for leading with the stronger side:

- deflect and control with the weak rear hand while

- counter-attacking with a quick strike from the lead hand at the same time

- continue attacking so you remain in control of the situation