• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt classes.

BKJ1216

I was looking at the class shedule for my dojo(You can find it by goin to https://www.yakimakarate.com and clicking on classes) and I noticed they seem to only offer one class for all Dan ranks.

Does this mean that there will be a mixed class of Dan ranks re-learning the same thign over and over for 4 months as more and more people come in? Because the way my dojo works is that 4 months the class goes up a rank then a new class comes into the previous ranks and completley starts over. If there is only 1 black belt class how are they going to accomidate the 1st dan and the other advanced members. This thing is beginning to smell rather fishy to me.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We have classes for black belts of all levels too. There is a lot more to learn at that level, so I doubt they are learning the same thing over and over. Besides at that level you are trying to perfect everything you already know as well, where as a pre black belt student just has to keep up.

Exactly, Black Belt classes are for all dans. It is not too difficult to teach black belts in a mixed class as their skill level should be such that they to do not require as much individual attention as colored belts. You are expected to be able to learn quickly and practice efficiently. Anything you learn in class you are expected to practice outside of class so that it can be critiqued, not relearned, the next class. Believe me, there are many, many things to learn after you reach black belt.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Gives the Dan's one night to train at their leval without being slowed down by others.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Gives the Dan's one night to train at their leval without being slowed down by others.

Yup. They are also usually expected to go to other classes through the week. When you wait 2,3,4,5 etc years for your next grading there is lots of time to work on things such as the little nuances of your current kata, and delving into your lower belt kata as well :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

All good explanations, but if I understand correctly, you just started your training. My suggestion, try not to jump ahead of yourself and stick to learning each rank up to black belt. Although there's nothing wrong with looking at what your dojo offers at the higher rank, it would seem more appropriate to concentrate on the rank and material you are currently at.

Like ninjanurse said, there's alot more to learn once you've obtain your black belt.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

In some respects our black belt classes were like all other classes and in some respects not. There are weapons black belts are permitted to work with under belts are not (i.e. bladed weapons). And there are extra katas. And then black belts sparring other black belts bears little resemblance to lower belts sparring.

Our BB classes (monday and Wednesday nights ,7:45-9:30...or whenever we finish, usally 10;30ish or so! :) ) are opportunities to really tear apart Kata and extract self defence aspects (i.e.: Bunkai and Oyo). We do alot of partner work, and there is a lot of experimentation.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!